Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Memory

I have Windows XP Pro... and trying to install Max Payne.. but it says I do not have enough system memory... how do i check system memory? Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System memory

In reply to: System Memory

Hi - system memory is a many-splendored thing. Have a look at "http://www.pctechguide.com/14Memory.htm" and you will see what I mean. In any case, how much RAM have you got there? - Amos

Collapse -
I believe the message is referring to RAM

RAM is Random Access Memory and is used by the processor to store data that it is currently using, rather than having to fetch it from the hard disk all the time, a time consuming process in today's computers.

There are many ways you can check how much RAM your computer has, but perhaps the easiest is to right click your My Computer icon on the Desktop and select Properties.

If the General tab is not displayed click that tab. This window gives a lot of your computer information and your RAM is at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks you guys for the info

In reply to: I believe the message is referring to RAM

I thought I was being stupid when I kept getting the error... because I knew I had enough memory in this computer... I spent a motherload on this computer last year and had put in 3 GB of RAM so I would never encounter this issue again.

I think it is the game...

Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Well, with 3GB's of RAM

In reply to: Thanks you guys for the info

that should be plenty, but perhaps the game is talking about video RAM? This is the memory on your video card.

Which game is it, and what does it say on the box about minimum and required specifications?

If you downloaded and ran Belarc Advisor, this would list all of your computer specs so you could have a ready list for yourself in future.

Mark

Collapse -
I printed out four pages of Belarc Advisor

Under Memory Modules, my memory sticks are listed on 3 slots as DIMM 256 MB, 128 MB & 128 MB (not printd was they are all 133 MHZ. This is the site:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1385.html
I turned on my computer so everything is listed. If you see an empty space, that means you can add more RAM
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
how to check if your added memory module is recognized .

I have 3 GB memory in my system and it only recognized only 1.The problem happened after I added the last 1GB module. I bought the same type module DDR 1GB 3200. I use WinXP. I checked the installation twice, and the modules look firmly seated. Please tell me what is the best way to check how much memory you have in your system?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.