Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

System Mechanics...??

by meanejean / November 27, 2004 1:17 AM PST

I'm running windows XP-SP2 with Norton System Works, Ad-aware and Spybot...Am considering switching from NS works to System Mechanic.....would that be a wise choice...???...and, System mechanics 5 or the pro version...Thanks, meanjean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Mechanics...??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Mechanics...??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System Mechanics...??
by Donna Buenaventura / November 27, 2004 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: System Mechanics...??
Collapse -
by sadat / December 3, 2004 2:46 PM PST

i want download system machenic pro

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / December 3, 2004 2:53 PM PST
Collapse -
by kjmossberg / December 28, 2004 10:19 AM PST

ive found that if in the instructions they say u need to becareful how you install it, that you my not beable to reboot your machine that it is most likely filled with spy-ware....
just an FYI
KJ

Collapse -
Stick with NSW, it's safer...
by Echo2 / December 28, 2004 5:17 PM PST

I've used them both extensively. In fact I own SystemWorks 2005 Premier.
I have encountered a number of problems using System Mechanic in addition to those mentioned in the previous posts.
1) I do not like its registry utility. I find the entries it selects for correction are obscure and potentially dangerous to delete.
2) Its duplicate file remover is also potentially dangerous and is almost a waste of space since you are repeatedly cautioned to not remove the duplicates it finds lest they be necessary for stable system function. How many users can say for sure whether a given number of duplicate files is fit for removal or essential to their PC's performance? Most people just do not have that kind of intimate knowledge of their system files.
3)The defraggger is slooowww.
4)The memory defragger is somewhat useless since PC memory should only rarely, if ever, be defragged.
5)The registry compactor is somewhat redundant as the windows registry seldom needs to be compressed.
The registry compressor feature puts, in my mind, an unnecssary and potentially harmful state as it rquires a reboot or two in order to complete its function. I am leary of software features that requires repeated reboots as I beleive it is hard on your PC and is indicative of lazy code writers.
If you want to compress your registry from time to time then get KSL's Registry Compressor, for example.

In contast, SystemWorks has two safe and user friendly registry utilities which require no guesswork or investigation on the part of the user. You just click Start and NSW does the rest.Speedisk is much quicker than Sytem Mechanic's defragger and is always favorably reviewed. CleanSweep is fast effective and safe.The files it deletes are always safe to delete and best of all it does it all for you, no decision or wondering on the part of the user. As with System Mechanic, NSW comes with a variety of system settings, tweak and optimization utilities. In fact, NSW comes with many more of these than System Mechanic.
Lastly, NSW comes with Norton antivirus. With System Mechanic you must pay extra for an antivirus(Kaspersky) and firewall(also Kaspersky). System Mechanic does come with a proprietary spyware/adware scanner called Spython. I have no idea how effective it is or is not save to say it does its scan in a remarkably short time bringing into question its thoroughness.
The only other PC utility suite(s) I would recommend to you is V-Com's System Suite and Fix-it Utilities, neither of which I have used but have heard many good things about.
SystemWorks has its detractors to be sure. Many complain of system drag and poor technical support, for example. A lot of Symantec programs take up exceptionally large amounts of space and consume unusually high percentages of memory. Symantec, for some reason, includes its liveupdate feature separately from its programs, which means even more space taken up by already large Symantec files.It is also an involved process getting Symantec products off your machine.
I could go on,but I hope this is enough to help you make an informed decision.

Regards,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?