General discussion

system integrity scan wizard...

I am running windows 2000 professional with Internet explorer 6.0. When I open up a browser window, a pop-up with a tool that I have never seen before, System Integrity Scan Wizard. Is this a microsoft program or have I have downloaded this accidently?

thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: system integrity scan wizard...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: system integrity scan wizard...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Smitfraudfix
- Collapse -
System Integrity Scan Wizard - PopUp Message

Downloaded Smitfraudfix and ran the .cmd file.
Performed task 1 and 2, search and clean but the "System Integrity Scan Wizard" Pop-up message persists, did you have any luck with this?
I also downloaded the Spybot and ran it and cleaned the registry, all these cleanings are catching lots of nasties, but the "System Integrity Scan Wizard" just keeps coming up!#$%.
Elias,

- Collapse -
same problem

I have the same problem, and Smitfraudfix did not work for me either...I just had a Virus Alert! virus in my taskbar but after running spybot it disappeared.
Any ideas on how to remove this? thanks

- Collapse -
Please Try This...
- Collapse -
Same Problem, some more info

I have a similar problem:

1. When I open internet explorer, I get a popup that looks vaguely like the Windows Security center wizard called "System Integrity Scan" suggesting that my computer is vulnerable to spyware. If I click on it it brings up a window that looks like the Windows Security center, but has a very slightly different design, suggesting that I install a program called "SystemDoctor 2006".

2. I get intermittent pupups from the Windows Taskbar in the shape of a triangle with an exclamation point that state my sytem is at risk, and when I click on the balloon it brings up the same fake Windows Security center window.

I also noticed that I have a new icon in my control panel called "System Security Center" that shares the same icon as the new popup window. This control panel enry is not identifiable as a Explorer browser add-on or in the Add/Remove programs menu.

I tried the fixes suggested above with no success. I also disables all browser helper objects in my Add-on list for IE.

Any help removing this intruder would be greatly appreciated.

My HiJachThis logfile can be sent on request, incase anyone can use it to help.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
this is what you need

google a program called smitrem.exe or smitrem.zip. download it. boot to safemode and run smitrem.exe. it will extract about 7 files to a folder. run: runthis.bat and follow the instructions. that it!

- Collapse -
I tried it, no luck!

I downloaded and ran the program in safemode exactly as described. Still have the popups!

Is this some new form of the SpyAxe adware from last year?

Any more ideas will be welcomed!

- Collapse -
Same problem

I have the same problem. How to remove the System Security Center in the control panel?

- Collapse -
I seem to have fixed it...

I downloaded and registered the latest version of StopZilla as well as Spyware Doctor. StopZilla seems to have stopped it. Althought the "System Security Center" icon is still in my Control Panel, the popups and fake system tray alerts have stopped.

I think the problem was a program called "xxxCodec".

- Collapse -
xxxCodec

I followed your discovery, had to task manager and close caserv...then deleted the files in xxxCodec. Had to rename them to delete them. Looking into the registry next.
Thanks

- Collapse -
final answer...maybe:)

I had the same problem that you've been talking about. With some more work i managed to fix the registry and the system security center icon in the control panel.First. You have to search and delete all items related to xxxcodec in the registry.
And then in system32 directory you will find a file called something like this:wisccp.cpl its a control panel plugin for this spyware..and and maybe next to it you will find the cab files of the spyware installer. If you delete these files your work is done. Reboot your pc and you wont see anymore that sh*t. I hope you can use my help.

- Collapse -
Re: final answer...maybe:)

Thanks. That is it.

- Collapse -
xxxcodec

i have tried to locate the files the identified in the last post via reg edit however i could not locate any of them where do i locate the files in xp i have had this problem for about a week now thanks

CNET Forums