Computer Help forum

General discussion

system integrity scan wizard...

by lawrence Chapman / May 5, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

I am running windows 2000 professional with Internet explorer 6.0. When I open up a browser window, a pop-up with a tool that I have never seen before, System Integrity Scan Wizard. Is this a microsoft program or have I have downloaded this accidently?

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system integrity scan wizard...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system integrity scan wizard...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Smitfraudfix
by dn_desaku / May 9, 2006 11:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
System Integrity Scan Wizard - PopUp Message
by Bob Maser / May 20, 2006 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Smitfraudfix

Downloaded Smitfraudfix and ran the .cmd file.
Performed task 1 and 2, search and clean but the "System Integrity Scan Wizard" Pop-up message persists, did you have any luck with this?
I also downloaded the Spybot and ran it and cleaned the registry, all these cleanings are catching lots of nasties, but the "System Integrity Scan Wizard" just keeps coming up!#$%.
Elias,

Collapse -
same problem
by gfytros / May 21, 2006 10:42 AM PDT

I have the same problem, and Smitfraudfix did not work for me either...I just had a Virus Alert! virus in my taskbar but after running spybot it disappeared.
Any ideas on how to remove this? thanks

Collapse -
Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 22, 2006 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem
Collapse -
Same Problem, some more info
by Ajaxio / May 22, 2006 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Please Try This...

I have a similar problem:

1. When I open internet explorer, I get a popup that looks vaguely like the Windows Security center wizard called "System Integrity Scan" suggesting that my computer is vulnerable to spyware. If I click on it it brings up a window that looks like the Windows Security center, but has a very slightly different design, suggesting that I install a program called "SystemDoctor 2006".

2. I get intermittent pupups from the Windows Taskbar in the shape of a triangle with an exclamation point that state my sytem is at risk, and when I click on the balloon it brings up the same fake Windows Security center window.

I also noticed that I have a new icon in my control panel called "System Security Center" that shares the same icon as the new popup window. This control panel enry is not identifiable as a Explorer browser add-on or in the Add/Remove programs menu.

I tried the fixes suggested above with no success. I also disables all browser helper objects in my Add-on list for IE.

Any help removing this intruder would be greatly appreciated.

My HiJachThis logfile can be sent on request, incase anyone can use it to help.

Thanks.

Collapse -
this is what you need
by Osmijeh / May 22, 2006 4:26 PM PDT

google a program called smitrem.exe or smitrem.zip. download it. boot to safemode and run smitrem.exe. it will extract about 7 files to a folder. run: runthis.bat and follow the instructions. that it!

Collapse -
I tried it, no luck!
by Ajaxio / May 23, 2006 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: this is what you need

I downloaded and ran the program in safemode exactly as described. Still have the popups!

Is this some new form of the SpyAxe adware from last year?

Any more ideas will be welcomed!

Collapse -
Same problem
by JJ / May 24, 2006 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: I tried it, no luck!

I have the same problem. How to remove the System Security Center in the control panel?

Collapse -
I seem to have fixed it...
by Ajaxio / May 26, 2006 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I downloaded and registered the latest version of StopZilla as well as Spyware Doctor. StopZilla seems to have stopped it. Althought the "System Security Center" icon is still in my Control Panel, the popups and fake system tray alerts have stopped.

I think the problem was a program called "xxxCodec".

Collapse -
xxxCodec
by eg00dman / May 26, 2006 4:08 PM PDT

I followed your discovery, had to task manager and close caserv...then deleted the files in xxxCodec. Had to rename them to delete them. Looking into the registry next.
Thanks

Collapse -
final answer...maybe:)
by shanedsouza / May 28, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: xxxCodec

I had the same problem that you've been talking about. With some more work i managed to fix the registry and the system security center icon in the control panel.First. You have to search and delete all items related to xxxcodec in the registry.
And then in system32 directory you will find a file called something like this:wisccp.cpl its a control panel plugin for this spyware..and and maybe next to it you will find the cab files of the spyware installer. If you delete these files your work is done. Reboot your pc and you wont see anymore that sh*t. I hope you can use my help.

Collapse -
Re: final answer...maybe:)
by JJ / May 29, 2006 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: final answer...maybe:)

Thanks. That is it.

Collapse -
xxxcodec
by thomm / June 16, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

i have tried to locate the files the identified in the last post via reg edit however i could not locate any of them where do i locate the files in xp i have had this problem for about a week now thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?