HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System.INI file does not exist

by hbgowest / March 19, 2004 12:05 AM PST

when my computer starts up it always comes up with this message that says:
Windows cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows.
The Windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device file, but the file no longer exists.
ypn30f.vxd
press any key to continue(i press a key then the computer loads after a bit
Does anyone know how to get rid of this or how to reinstall whatever it is saying is not installed?
i'de appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System.INI file does not exist
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System.INI file does not exist
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Misleading subject in your post
by Josh K / March 19, 2004 12:40 AM PST

Your system.ini file does indeed exist; the error message you are getting is being caused by a line in that file. .vxd files have to do with display drivers. Have you recently upgraded your video card?

Go to Start\Run, type SYSEDIT and hit ENTER. Find the offending line in system.ini and put a semicolon ( ; ) at the beginning of that line. Then save and close the file. The semicolon will cause system.ini to ignore that line. Does that resolve the problem?

Collapse -
Re:System.INI file does not exist
by hbgowest / March 19, 2004 5:48 AM PST

thanks for the help. you mean i have to put the semicolon in front of the vxd thing right? the only problem is now the file that comes up when the computer starts isn't in the system.ini thing. the only vxd file there is. device=TURBOVCD.VXD
im leaving for the weekend but if you could give me any advice it will be appreciated. thanks for ur time.

Collapse -
How about reading the error message?
by Kees Bakker / March 20, 2004 4:39 AM PST

From your first post, it reads like this:

The Windows Registry or System.INI file refers to this device file, but the file no longer exists.

From your second post, it's not in System.INI.

I leave it to you to find out where else it could be.
If you need removal instructions then (it's not a semicolon!), please post again.

Hint #1: use regedit.
Hint #2: be careful when modifying the registry!

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:System.INI file does not exist
by w0bjh / March 20, 2004 11:45 AM PST

The vxd extension indicates a Virtual Device Driver. Also called Value-added Drive. A .VXD file is a helper file used by one or more program (.exe) files. You don't run vxd files; the program it is designed to work with uses the info in the file. I do not know what the heck that file is or used for. No info can be located for it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.