Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System hangs at start up because of mrxsmb.sys

by EduardoTonos / October 6, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

From what i have researched, i noticed that there are a lot of diferent problems that point to that same file, from people that cant see the icons to people that have 70 second wait time after they input the login password.
I have a laptop, at work there is a domain and i have a small network at home. So what i did was i configured my laptop for my works domain and configured an alternate ip configuration for when im home. Resently i had to reformat my computer and after that i installed windows xp pro SP1 installed all the updates(except SP2) and i THINK my config is exactly the same as before but i have a 68 second delay at start up IF my network cable is conected when i input my password(at home, theres no problem at work).

In other words, if I boot my computer without any network access at all(no network cable in my network card) my computer boots in a total of 21 seconds, with a cable it takes around 1:20 minutes.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

PS: Please dont tell me about Msconfig or services.msc, or ad-aware or spybot or a vires scan since those are things i have under controll.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System hangs at start up because of mrxsmb.sys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System hangs at start up because of mrxsmb.sys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System hangs at start up because of mrxsmb.sys
by EduardoTonos / October 6, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

Another thing, the way it used to work was that when i logged inside windows i wouldnt have internet access for a couple of seconds,right now after the long login delay i have internet access right of the bat, what i think is happening is that windows is looking for the domain after i input my password when it doesnt find it it logs in and uses the alternate ip config, but i liked the old way better since i could go and load other programs and stuff instantly.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 5:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
by EduardoTonos / October 6, 2004 5:44 AM PDT

Did a fast search along the link that you sent me, i did find a lot of pages talking about errors caused by or that included mrxsmb.sys but strangely enough none mentiones the problem im having, i guess il just end up booting my computer without a network cable and then conecting it after I have inputed my password.

Thanks a lot for the effort Rproffitt.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2004 6:53 AM PDT

Sorry you may have missed it. Here's what I do. I right click on Network Neighborhood and disconnect all connections. It speeds up the next boot.

Best of luck and next time look in the Event Viewer.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?