Computer Help forum

General discussion

System freezing during gameplay

Hello,

I am having a very annoying problem. It happens randomly, sometimes while playing a game the system freezes --> hard reboot as the only solution
I installed the latest bios, nvidia drivers, chipset drivers and sata drivers.
I tested the memory using memtest, it passed with no errors
The cpu temperature reaches a maximum of 60 degrees Celcius in full load.
Here's my system :

-Intel Q9550
-Maximus II Formula motherboard
-Velociraptor
-BFG OC GTX280 Graphic Card
-Pioneer Optical Drive
-Supreme FX X-FI Audio Card
-2*2Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 @1066 MHz
-a Corsair HX1000W psu
The case is a Coolermaster Cosmos
And I am using a Vista Ultimate x64 OS

I am really confused about this problem, any suggestions, help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System freezing during gameplay
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System freezing during gameplay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This appears to be a continuation of

In reply to: System freezing during gameplay

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=308491&messageID=2857568&tag=forums06;posts#2857568

Now that you have a new board tell me more. I see you built this yourself so tell me if the BIOS is current and did you go into the BIOS, the settings for memory timing and voltage and compare that to the RAM specifications?

Some don't but this is something I've found today's machines need us to do since the BIOS doesn't support all RAM out there. It is up to you to find the memory specs and make sure your machine is set up proper.
Bob
Collapse -
latest bios

In reply to: This appears to be a continuation of

Hello,
Yes I finished the build, the new board is great. I configured the timings and voltage of the memory in the bios. I got the last version (1307 for this board). I did test my memory using memtest v 2.1 there was no errors at all.
Could it be a NB temperature problem?
I've read that the NB in this board gets very hot (sometimes the contact between the dissipator and the NB is not very good). I am gonna do a full temperature test: GPU, NB, CPU (already done, it was fine, but will redo another one).

Collapse -
Could it be a NB temperature problem?

In reply to: latest bios

Here's how I test that. I leave the case cover off and point a box fan at the open case and try again.

Collapse -
I'll try it

In reply to: Could it be a NB temperature problem?

However there are 4 fans in the case, aren't these enough?

Collapse -
That's what the test will show.

In reply to: I'll try it

But it could be something simple like no heatsink compound on some chip other than the CPU. I know that story all too well. As the designer, builder and troubleshooter you know to check everything.
Bob

Collapse -
Heat test results

In reply to: That's what the test will show.

I did a whole heat test and the results were very fine. I did it at full cpu load (using a stress test), here is what I got (temperatures in Degrees Celcius)

Asus Probe II:
- MB a maximum temperature of 30 degrees
- CPU 50-51 degrees
- NB 40-42 degrees
- SB 40 degrees
- Power 45 degrees!! (I am not sure of the reliability of this number, can the probe measure the psu temperature?)

Rivatuner and Nvidia System Monitor:
- GPU at full load (1920*1200 ultra high with AA enabled, games C&C 3 and Race Driver Grid) maximum temperature : 76 degrees

I am not a pro in those temps but it seems ok for me, right?

Collapse -
Seems fine but

In reply to: Heat test results

That's not something we can use here. I know this fellow that lost months over an issue like this. In desperation he brought me the machine and we did "the test." We ran it on Linux to see if it was a driver or hardware issue. It locked up under Linux so we started the work of removing one heatsink at a time and the cleanup, new compound and buttoning it up. It turned out to be one of the motherboard chipset chips. Once we refreshed that one, it went stable.

However today it's rare to see a good OS install and sometimes you see people install a smaller power supply and hope it does fine. All this is fun stuff for those that build themselves and great income for shops that fix that.
Bob

Collapse -
Cooling

It appears you have a good thing going here. However, you're a gamer thus you're pushing the system and you're hitting the wall sorta speak. I'm sorry far too many gamers introduce their own problems or find them too quickly in such stressful situations. You have to tweek the heck out of it in all areas of concern. One by one you'll encounter some issue and get beyond that. The components you've installed seem top notch. I suggest you truly check the heat output and cooling aspects of your system. Then on top of all this you're using Vista Ult. 64-bit, which maybe yet another issue here. Follow Robert's posts and take it from there as well. Other than above, I couldn't offer more info. You may want to look into "liquid cooling" setups for more intense cooling.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I'll try XP

In reply to: Cooling

I'll install XP on one of the partitions and try it, if it works without any problem it will be a vista (64 bits maybe) problem, in other terms a software problem. It could be a driver, a soft, an antivirus, ... hard to find,
If it does the same thing on XP ---> a hardware problem.
The XP test will really help me concentrate my investigation : hardware wise or software wise.
I'll keep u updated guys, thanks for all of your suggestions.
Regards

Collapse -
Solved!!??

Hello everybody,

I don't know what to say but the problems seems to be gone. (well I guess) But the amazing thing is the way it was gone!
All I had to do is to disconnect my pc from the net (unplug the cable). I don't what could be the reason, a conflict in firewalls , windows one and avast's one, or any other thing related to the lan card driver, but since I am doing that before launching the games I have no problem at all, even if I stay 4-5 hours none stop!
In order to be sure that this was the source of the problem, whenever I try to launch a game with the cable plugged and the pc connected to the net the game freezes again within 5-10 minutes of play!
I'll keep you updated in case anything new related to this problem happens.
Thank you for all of your help (thanks robert)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.