Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System fail to boot pass scroll bars

I am unable to boot pass windows scroll bars at boot up stage. Yet i boot up with no problem in safe mode. This all began after i ran "sfc /scannow". I ran this program because my system OF late takes forever to open a program on first attempt and Roxio begin to refuse/freeze to create DVD. system is virus free and malware free as AVG 8.0, A Square and Ad-aware keep me running real clean.I have research your archive on this issue but none quite help.
System info is: AMD Athlon, 800mhz, 1024mb, XP-PRO & 40ghd . HDDrive was defrag yesterday, and i also rolled back my NVIDIA driver but to no avail. Your expert help would help. I am reaching you via my sons computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System fail to boot pass scroll bars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System fail to boot pass scroll bars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If You Can Boot To Safe Mode....

In reply to: System fail to boot pass scroll bars

what happens if you chose boot to "Last known Good Configuration" instead ?
SFC should not have caused this as it simply repairs any corrupted system files by comparing them w/ a original copy created during original install of the OS. Where there's deviation, it replaces the current corrupted file with a clean, original copy.

If the original copy is corrupted, it would ask for your OS CD or SP CD or install file location & get from there.

There was a known conflict between AVG AV 7.5 & Roxio Drivers for versions 4.0 thru 7 CDRAL. There was a correction tool. I'm not sure IF such a conflict exists w/ AVG 8. Possible I suspect. Recall seeing a post saying AVG * wanted poster to update to a NEWER Roxio/Sonic version.
Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Roxio & AVG possible conflict

In reply to: If You Can Boot To Safe Mode....

I took your advice and did a restore. It work perfectly at least for now. Base on the info you gave i then remembered that i did upgrade Avg 7.5 to 8.0 but i could not remember using Roxio,but my scroll bar problems began shortly after. The only difference is it would freeze on the first attempt to start up, but not the second. I thought doing a unscheduled clean would help, it only got worse.
To avoid future problem with Possible Roxio and AVG 8.0, is there a fix.

Collapse -
Good Start!! Unfortunately, There Are Several.....

In reply to: Roxio & AVG possible conflict

cautions involved w/ new AVG 8 (it has a service pack 1 out now).
It has /had conflicts with both Spybot S&D & Javacool's Spyware Blaster.
If you want to keep AVG 8, suggest disabling or un-installing either or both OR you could use Avast! AV or Avira Av instead.
Have you any other active background protective guards installed??

You mention XP Pro but not SP level. AVG 8 REQUIRES minimum of XP SP2/3
or Vista. If before that, then you shouldn't use AVG 8.
Link to page listing AVG 8.0 Supported & NOT Supported OS:
http://www.grisoft.com/ww.platforms

NOT positive about conflict between AVG 8 & Roxio (couldn't find much via Google or at AVG site search)( I've always found AVG>search useless). Saw a suggestion to try un-installing Roxio, Do clean install of AVG 8 & then try & re-install Roxio. Perhaps 8 can accept Roxio as new incoming program but has conflict when Roxio drivers already there first?? Didn't see posters reply AFTER trying this IF he did. There was a similar problem between Roxio & Nero too way back then.
You might try posting at either Roxio's &/or AVG Free(?) Forums for most up to date info on possible conflict. Probably requires free registration (use web mail Hotmail, etc. address).

This used to be the link for the Roxio Patch but will lead 2 Forum?:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/MSERR/CDR4_7.jhtml

AVG Free Support Forum: http://freeforum.avg.com/

Please reply w/ info requested above (as much as seems reasonable particularly re: other protective programs)in case other conflicts may exist. I'll be back tomorrow. Thanks & Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
Haven't Found Link for Roxio BUT....

In reply to: Good Start!! Unfortunately, There Are Several.....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.