Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Error Message(s)

by kpauole / March 11, 2008 9:50 PM PDT

I receive the following error message whenever I make changes to my System Configuration (under msconfig): ?An Access Denied Error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using and Administrator account to make the specific changes.?

1) I?m running Windows XP Professional SP2, with all the current updates.

2) I?m the owner/administrator of this computer.

3) Before installing McAfee Security Suite, I never had this problem.

4) I?m currently running McAfee Security Suite (they say the problem is with my OS, not their software).

5) I get the same error message while in ?Safe Mode? ? even using the administrator account.

6) I believe the changes are being applied but the error message is just an inconvenience.

How can this be fixed? Can it be fixed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Error Message(s)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Error Message(s)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Test it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 9:57 PM PDT

Uninstall the McAfee Suite. They probably have an in-depth remover on their web site.

Reboot, then try to make the changes. If it works, you have identified the problem. If not, then it is something else.

You can always re-install McAfee afterwards.

Possibly a simpler solution is to use System Restore to return to before you installed McAfee.

Mark

Collapse -
System Error Messages
by kpauole / March 11, 2008 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Test it.

Mark,

Thanks for your input. I've uninstalled McAfee and the message goes away. When McAfee is reinstalled the meassage comes back. I've discussed this with Mcafee and they say the problem is not there software but a problem with my OS - even after explaining the error message goes away with their software uninstalled and the error message comes back with their software installed.

Collapse -
In that case.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: System Error Messages

In that case is this the McAfee software simply doing its job? I don't use McAfee so I don't know it at all. but if it is a Security Suite then it makes sense that it will attempt to prevent anyone, (hacker, virus. trojan), from making System Admin changes to the system without permission.

If that's the case then this would seem to point to a setting somewhere within the McAfee software.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?