Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Drive Backup

I have a system that has 2 drives, a 40 and 120 gig. I finally have the system, applications et al to the point that I am Happy.

The main system is on the that 40 gig drive. Is there a way I can back that drive up to the 120 gig drive so if I do ever have a falure (Which Will Never Happen) on the 40 use the 120 as the new system drive? Or use the 120 to recreate a new system drive?

I guess what I am asking is.. What is the best strategy to protect my investment in time and to minimize restore time.

The system is Windows XP Pro

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Drive Backup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Drive Backup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've heard good things about...

In reply to: System Drive Backup

ACRONIS.

I've heard bad things about hard disks as backup. Maybe it works for some, but when I see such it's somebody asking me to help them retrieve data from a dead drive.

Bob

Collapse -
Backup Again

In reply to: I've heard good things about...

I am not trying to recover anything at this time but trying to anticipate any future problem. Is there a way to create a new system drive from a backup drive or better yet can I create a new drive for another computer if the original compter dies?

Thanks

Collapse -
In a word "ACRONIS."

In reply to: Backup Again

Be sure to research what this nice software does. And no to the other question.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob...Bob...Bob...

Why do you hate hard drive backups soooo much. You must have had a bad experience when you were younger....much younger.

RMS,

Bob and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to backups. Yes, you can copy the c: drive to the d: drive. On the d: drive create a directory called <BACKUP_C> and either copy the data over or use a backup program. I prefer a backup program because you can compress your data and/or make a 'mirror' image. Using a good backup program also allows you to do incremental backups. Just make sure you defragment the d: drive before doing the backup. It makes things neater.

However, if at all possible, you should try and get an external hard drive. I use 200gb and 250gb external USB2.0 drives. Although you may be protecting the c: drive in case that physical drive crashed or gets a virus, what happens if you have a fire, or someone drops the computer, or you take a lightening strike, or get flooded, or....<get the point?> In the "old" days we had offsite storage for backups..and we have offsite backup storage today. That might be a stretch but the philosophy behind it isn't. Putting your off computer backup in a safe or different room or at the office should do just fine. It may not be perfect, but it's much better than putting it on the harddrive. There are also schema available for using CDs or DVDs, Bob's preference.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Because people continue to show up with corrupt Backup ....

In reply to: Bob...Bob...Bob...

If I didn't see so many, I'd say such worked fine. Make your choice and don't complain too much to me if it fails you.

Bob

Collapse -
Mr. RMS,

If I was you and since I have both PartitionMagic 8.0 and Symantec GHOST 9.0 I would:

1. Create another partion in 120GB called ''Backup 40'' using PartitionMagic resize partition. Let try to make it 40GB which equivalent to your 1 drive. You might not need the whole 40GB if you select ''compress data'' option when backup.

2. Copy the image of your drive 1 into that ''Backup 40'' using Symantec GHOST 9.xx.

Now your ''Backup 40'' partition is identical to your drive 1 and if something went wrong on that drive 1, just pop in the GHOST CD (and change the BIOS to read the CD first) and you can recovery that drive 1 from the ''Backup 40'' drive easily.

Regards,

Collapse -
Backup system to second hard drive

In reply to: Mr. RMS,

The strategy of backing up your system to a second hard drive in your box, presumes the system hard drive will fail, and the second hard drive will be available for system restore. This overlooks the possibility of a total computer crash taking out both hard drives at once. That can be physical, as in a lightning strike or power surge, or file corruption in the case of a virus infection affecting both drives.

You are better off backing up to a separate external hard drive and leaving that drive ''off power'' unless it is needed for system recovery. You can also backup a system image to dvd's which can be kept in a safe place off premise. Acronis True Image allows both stategies (doing both is the safest). True Image can be run from Windows, or a boot disc that is run under Linux with full support for ide drives, USB2, and even firewire. When system recovery is a simple two click, twenty minute affair, hard disc failure or system failure is a minor aggravation.

Collapse -
One of many examples.

In reply to: Backup system to second hard drive

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.