Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Deterioration -- Help !!!

by BAM2001 / April 25, 2004 6:06 AM PDT

I hope you folks can give me an idea of what to do next. Do I reinstall my lineprinter driver, reinstall Windows, give-up and buy a new system??? I'm a user, not a system tinkerer -- I'm not sure what I'm dealing with.

First off, I have a Dell Dimension, Pentium II with 288MB SDRAM, 8GB hard drive and HP710 multi-function printer all bought in 1999. I've added a Visioneer scanner, a Jaz drive and USB connected digital camera. I run Windows 98, Office 97 and Earthlink Total Access 2003, and regularly update my McAfee antivirus, download Windows critical updates and run/update AdAware and HDvalet as well as disk scan and defrag, and occasionally use Adobe photoshop BE.

About 1 year ago, things just noticeably slowed down --I'd had lots of problems upgrading the Earthlink email from Mindspring to Total Access 2003 (seemed like daily contacts with customer support and trial & error parameter changing for over a month before the kinks were worked out). I use Outlook Express with the Total Access. These may not be related to the
slowdown, but it was in the same timeframe. Within the last month, the printer is acting up -- both when I try to print from the internet and when I print locally with no dial-up connection activated. It takes minutes before the print window opens and after that 5-6 minutes before action on the printer, if at all (sometimes it tells me it has a printer driver
problem, restart windows). Recently, even the Office applications are unreliable. Working in a pre-existing excel file, making any changes takes 1-2 minutes.

It seems that the system is deteriorating. Does the hardware wear out? Does Windows collect gremlins over time (never had a virus, knock wood)? Would the print driver get corrupted so that it works sometimes, but not always? Is Office 97 part of the problem? Where do I start??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Deterioration -- Help !!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Deterioration -- Help !!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:System Deterioration -- Help !!! Welcome to 2004, where new parasites are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 6:23 AM PDT

Rampant. What's a PARASITE? Read http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ to see these new pests which your antivirus doesn't find.

At http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 I note these tools (all free!) to find most of these pests. Also STARTER to selectively disable a suspected item and reboot to test.

The OFFICE ITEM is noteworthy. Microsoft WORD has an enduring bug in that the NORMAL.DOT file grows, never shrinks and can be corrupt. Delete it, run WORD and you get a new one. You may find WORD to stop misbehaving...

I know your setup well and in short, it's likely to be some pest, normal.dot or that you are letting that PREVIEW WINDOW show e-mail in OE. Today, I must write that such is far too dangerous. I know it seems like a small thing, but it's a doorway for things to invade your system even with an Antivius/firewall or such.

In closing, after all the pests are removed (yes, you can't rely on just one spyware tool or your lone antivirus), the normal.dot issue done, you can then head to Optimizing Windows at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm as well as two last items.

1. Run Disk Cleanup.
2. Uninstall those softwares you haven't run in the last year.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:System Deterioration -- Help !!! Welcome to 2004, where new parasites are...

I'd like to add to Bob said. If you have not been using Ad-aware, SpyBot, or similar programs in the past, your computer is probably loaded up with spyware/malware that is zapping the life out of your computer. Sad

Also, since you are using Earthlink, I recommend that you use their mail program instead of any version of Outlook. The various Outlook email programs are not very secure. Sad

In addition, concider using a program such as MailWasher to preview your email on the server before downloading it onto your computer. Happy

Hope this helps! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?