HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

System crash, I need some help

by redhawkxx / September 16, 2008 9:46 AM PDT

So the other day I turned on my computer and began to load internet explorer, however after about 5 seconds the window closed, and I thought that was strange. So then I tried opening it again and the window appeared in a windows 97 theme even though I was in XP theme. Thinking, oh no I better make sure I dont have some weird virus that is slowing my computer down I opened AVG to attempt to scan my computer. At this point the whole system basically froze up and I was forced to restart. Upon Restart I came to the windows loading screen and it took much longer than usual and after a couple of minutes went blue screen of death. I tried again and no form of safemode would work. I used XP recovery console and executed CHKDSK /r which said it fixed some things, but in the end made little difference, except now when I load it makes it past the windows loading screen but gives me error code :0xc0000001, which appearently it some flaw in the security accounts. So i did what microsoft said and tried to go into the recovery console the copy and paste some files. Now it is asking me for an administrator password, which it has never down before and more importantly I have no password whatsoever. Anyway, leaving it blank doesn't work, so i need to know how to get arround this nonexistant password or a simpler way to solve my problem. I just built this computer earlier this year so Im a little ticked. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System crash, I need some help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System crash, I need some help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I forgot to mention it is SP2
by redhawkxx / September 16, 2008 10:05 AM PDT

I forgot to mention it is SP2

Collapse -
That password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 10:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
nope
by redhawkxx / September 16, 2008 11:25 AM PDT

nope, that doesn't help, and neither does google, it just gives me back a bunch of crud that has nothing to do with my problem. Thats why I came here for help.

Collapse -
NTPASSWD allows you to change that password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: nope

Here's a direct link. It's the first link when I google NTPASSWD

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Now you are armed to change it or remove it. If you can't use that, then get ready to pay up.
Bob

Collapse -
Admin password change remove
by Phil Crase / September 17, 2008 12:04 AM PDT

Try going in to set up, change remove admin password. Good luck!

Collapse -
Your problem is a bit deeper than that
by helljack6 / September 17, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

Ok, unless i'm missing something, changing the password isn't going to fix your problem in the end. You stated that when you did something, (opened IE) the resulting action was far from what was expected. This means there's more serious issues at hand and the fact that you're now locked out of your system is the resultant of underlying issues that you weren't probably aware of.

While NTPASSWORD and Ophcrack are great tools, if you're issue is regarding a security account that previously had no password and when you try to access said account with no password and it's not letting you in, you have a serious issue with your SAM file. NTPassword and Ophcrack aren't going to rebuilt that SAM file, only reveal or change existing information.

Hopefully you know someone with a Windows Live CD or a copy of Knoppix, boot into a Pre-install enviroment, offload any necessary files and reformat using BCWipePD or D-Ban and reload.

Collapse -
alright so
by redhawkxx / September 17, 2008 9:46 AM PDT

so you are saying that due to my destroyed sam file i must reformat my hard drive? Currently I am backing up files on my parents comuter by plugging my harddrive into and simply copying and pasting. I am Ok with reformetting if that is my only real option, because I can basically back up my whole harddrive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.