Computer Help forum

General discussion

System boot messages and RAM questions...

by jdschell / March 30, 2004 6:42 AM PST

First, when I start my system: HP 8750C, PentiumIII, WIN 98 SE, added 129mb to Ram when purch. to go to 256,: I get 2 lines that read as follows:
Missing or corrupted file: C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
Error on Config.Sys Line 10
then the system continues to boot up with no delay.
I have run Adaware6 and Spybot S&D and cleaned up all they could find and have recently installed Norton System Works 2004 with Personal Firewall 2004 and run all utilities fixes. All of these have made the sytem function better but still get these messages at boot up. What do they mean and how can I fix?
Also, when I get system information from Norton it is only seeing 128 of RAM and not the 256 that I have installed and is telling me that I am 100% used on RAM. I am worried that the system is not seeing the second 128 memory card. My system is running slower after installing the latest software. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System boot messages and RAM questions...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System boot messages and RAM questions...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:System boot messages and RAM questions...
by Steven Haninger / March 30, 2004 7:39 AM PST

Your error message is most likely due to having a config.sys file or autoexec.bat. Unless you need DOS or legacy support for a CD ROM, you do not need this line at all and can edit the appropriate file or just get rid of both of them. I would start by renaming the above files to somthing like .old. This should clear up the error message. Next, I would not rely on Norton's RAM count. Just do a right click on My Computer and select Properties. Under General, you should see you RAM amount. If it's less than you feel is there and paid someone for installing it, it needs to go back. If you did this yourself, you may have a non working module or one not compatible with the other. You need to test them one at a time in your PC to see if they are recognized. If they work separately but not together, odds are they are not compatible and your MB refuses to use one of them. You mentioned in the start of your message that your system is functioning better but later in your message that it's running slower. What was fixed by pest control and Norton?

Collapse -
Re:Re:System boot messages and RAM questions...
by jdschell / March 30, 2004 11:12 AM PST

Thanks for the reply....
how do I edit the messages in question to get rid of them.......
I opened up my system and the board that I installed when purchased with the system new appears to be seated properly but is still not being recognized.
I installed it the way the tech showed me and the board was supplied when I bought the system. How do I test to see if working properly?
Also, my system is now not recognizing my scanner although it makes it familiar noise that it always has when the system is booted up.

Collapse -
Edit Config.sys
by Kees Bakker / March 30, 2004 3:15 PM PST

The message is: Error on Config.Sys Line 10

make a copy of config.sys (in the root folder) to config.sav
Open Notepad
Open config.sys (in the root folder)
Check that line 10 is the offending line (referring to a non-existent driver file in a cdrom-folder)
Delete that line

Reboot and your message is gone.

Can't look at your other problems now.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:System boot messages and RAM questions.../testing RAM
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2004 9:30 AM PST

The easiest way to test your modules is to try them one at a time. Each module slot is called a "bank" and may be labeled on the MB. The first slot is usually "Bank 0". Use this slot and test the modules one at a time to see if they work. It might also be necessary to enter your BIOS setup function and look for memory timing options. Set the timing to be determined by "SPD" which is chip on the memory modules which is supposed to define it's capabilities. If both modules work independently, try them together and then switch them in the slots to see what happens. If they work individually but not together, you could have a bad RAM slot or a compatibility issue with the modules themselves. If the later proves to be the case, you might just need to get another module identical to the one you bought. Mixing modules is often tricky. Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?