Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SysProtect pop-ups

Whenever I open a browser I get a pop-up for SysProtect. I click cancel and I get three or four other pop-ups offering to scan my system. This used to only happen when I used Internet Explorer but now happens when I use Mozilla Firefox.
I searched my computer and deleted all of the 'SysProtect' files but they still pop up, any suggestions on how to get this off my computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SysProtect pop-ups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SysProtect pop-ups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Run the scans...

In reply to: SysProtect pop-ups

It's time to run the malware scans:
1.) You antivirus...Avast and AVG are both free options.
2.) Ewido is a free malware scanner and one of the best in its class.
3.) Windows defender, a free beta from Microsoft, can provide you with realtime spyware protection.
4.) SpyBot and Adaware are two good freebie complements to the above.

Zap whatever they find, reboot, and see if the problem remains. If so we'll move onto disabling System restore, followed by another set of scans and a visit from HiJackThis.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
WinAntiVirus popups

In reply to: Run the scans...

I did have Spybot and Adaware before I posted that but they didn't eliminate that specific popup. I downloaded Ewido and ran it and the popup came up once but then I didn't see it for days so I thought that might have worked but tonight I'm getting popups for 'WinAntiVirus', which I think might have been the name on some of the old popups. I haven't used Internet Explorer since I ran Ewido(I'm using Mozilla Firefox) so I'm not sure if 'Windows Defender' will work?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Collapse -
Next step...

In reply to: WinAntiVirus popups

Windows Defender's scanner isn't as thorough as Ewido's, so it probably woudn't clear it up either. However, it does offer good real-time protection to prevent future infections to begin with, something Ewido's not good at, in my opinion. Thus, I would install it for future use after you get this cleared up.

Given the popups for SysProtect and WinAntiVirus (both rogue anti-spyware applications...do not download!), I'd say you're likely infected by WinFixer (also known as Vundo and Virtumonde), a low-risk but particularly nasty trojan you may have heard of. For removal instructions, clicking here. For additional information from McAfee, click here.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
update

In reply to: Next step...

I downloaded the program from the McAfee site but couldn't get it to work properly but I did remember seeing that when I ran AdAware 'VirtuMonde' was always something found and was removed so I ran that full system scan again and haven't had the problem since. Is it possible that the AdAware does work but I keep getting the virus by visiting certain web sites or using certain programs? Thanks for the continued support.

Collapse -
Yes...

In reply to: update

There are two possibilities for re-infection after AdAware or another utility cleaned your computer:

1.) You were visiting a website, opening e-mail attachments, or downloading files that contained the malware. To stay clear I recommend the free browser plugins SiteAdvisor (now owned by McAfee) and Netcraft Toolbar, which will steer you clear of phishing sites and sites that pack popups, spam, malware, etc while using Firefox and Internet Explorer.

2.) It was/is hiding in a System Restore file, a known breeding ground for such malware. If that's the case you'd have to purge all old restore points and then clean your system. To purge the restore points you must disable System Restore...right-click My Computer, select Properties, select the System Restore tab, and turn it off on all drives.

Best of luck at staying clean.
John

Collapse -
another update

In reply to: Yes...

Yeah, it's back. After about a week of using Firefox exclusively I thought it was gone but as soon as I opened Internet Explorer it popped right up.
Do I just follow your instructions from the last post to clean it? It had to still be on my computer to pop up as soon as I clicked the Internet Explorer.
Thanks

Collapse -
Yes and more...

In reply to: another update

Follow the instructions for disabling System Restore in my previous post, then run the scans to remove it. After it's supposedly removed, restart your computer and launch/use Internet Explorer for a little while...stick to sites that are safe, such as Cnet, CNN, etc. Once you know it's clear re-enable System Restore and carry on.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.