Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sys Info, Software Environment, Win Error Reporting.

by phattdaddy / February 23, 2004 9:58 AM PST

Running XP IE/OE6 1.2G 265M/SDRam 40M H/D with NAV Pest Patrol, Popthis Pro,Registry Mech.
Log in Win error reporting shows continuous string of errors and warnings:-thus (sic)
MsiInstaller Detection of Product.
{E7298FD5-1386-11D5-8D6c-0050DAD32D95} second string reads thus- Unexpected or Missing Value.
This is repeated in the event viewer coming in a string of three:- Error-Warning-Warning.
The first two as [name: 'package name'"] in key HKU\S\1-5-21 2939153371-18531 19545-2805738029-1003\software\microsoft\installer\products\
5DF8927E68315D11D8C60005AD3DD259\Source list'

Both logs go back to Feb 3rd (had installed Cumulative Security Patch IE6ServPk 1 KB832894 did an uninstal to check if this was problem and it was not) Every time I go onto net a whole new string of errors and warnings come up. (Dare I ask if this is a norm for MS)
Has any one out there got a fix or is it one of those things best left alone. Problem is that I do not really know how long this has been going on as log is from Feb 3 only

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sys Info, Software Environment, Win Error Reporting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sys Info, Software Environment, Win Error Reporting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Sys Info, Software Environment, Win Error Reporting.
by Cursorcowboy / February 23, 2004 10:09 PM PST
Problem is that I do not really know how long this has been going on as log is from Feb 3 only

1. For your information only, please read the article "A Windows Installer Package That Is Installed with Group Policy Does Not Restart the Computer (Q811996)."

2. Perhaps it would be to your advantage if you can identify and provide any and all information concerning the CLSID - {E7298FD5-1386-11D5-8D6c-0050DAD32D95}.

3. The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs. The Event Log Service records application, security, and system events in Event Viewer. With the event logs in Event Viewer, users can obtain information about hardware, software, and system components, and monitor security events on a local or remote computer. Event logs can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

Note: Is the information already furnished from the log?

4. When asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include such items as a list of major programs installed.

Bill Gaston
Collapse -
Re:Re:Sys Info, Software Environment, Win Error Reporting.
by phattdaddy / February 24, 2004 10:11 AM PST

Thanks Bill, the omniprescient Texas Ranger to the rescue again. Lots of food for thought in your reply and some lateral thinking required by myself. Article Q308427 opens a whole new can of worms where I assumed that the log entries were sufficient information "How wrong could I be?". Did you notice that the sys/info on the CLSID is almost a mirror image of the Event log info?
I dont wish to admit defeat but after kicking XP around the town square over night I find that everything in XP is working smoothly. No hang ups or dithering, all programmes answer to their call so maybe, just before XP has a complete hissy fit, I will leave well alone. Thanks for your assistance Bill, much appreciated. I suspected for some time that you may have been the Cursorcowboy the style gave you away.
Thanks again from down under.

Collapse -
NT - Sometimes we have fun with Windows. Other times Windows has fun with us.
by Cursorcowboy / February 24, 2004 11:30 PM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!