Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Synchronizing the Modern MP3 Player!

by Confed / January 31, 2007 7:59 AM PST

Virtually all the new players support only synchronization through MS Windows Media Player, instead of letting users set up their own folders and files as they do on their computers. This has been nothing but problems for me, however. I find that errors are numerous and even when I've started from scratch (deleting all the files on my Sansa E280) I still find that Media Player tries to copy files I no longer want or need, even when the playlists have edited them out.

So, starting from scratch with NOTHING in my folders, I later see files I no longer want and which are not in any of my listed playlists. How did they get there? How do I fix things so that only files that are in my playlists are transferred?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Synchronizing the Modern MP3 Player!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Synchronizing the Modern MP3 Player!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PlaysForSure
by audioedition.org / January 31, 2007 10:36 AM PST

You are absolutely right, it seems to be the way the industry is going. What you are looking for, or rather trying to avoid, is PlaysForSure. PlaysForSure, also sometimes known as Janus, is a Digital Rights Management or DRM scheme. It is used to limit use of rented and purchased digital content.
The players or the packaging will be marked, and it is usually mentioned in the description or reviews. It is only the more advanced 'PlaysForSure Subscription' capable players that behave in the way you describe. Check out Microsofts site at http://www.playsforsure.com/default.aspx, or my page, where I review different DRM schemes including PlaysForSure at http://www.audioedition.org/help/drm/drm.htm
If you do not use a subscription service that requires PlaysForSure for your music or audio book needs, such as Napster or Simply Audiobooks, a player that supports only PlaysForSure Download, or no PlaysForSure at all can be an option.
I don't know what to recommend for your Sansa. I had read that for iRiver players, there's some third party software that will let you see the player as a drive, and browse it with File Explorer, but I have not seen anything like that for SanDisk, or for multiple makes.

Collapse -
JunkForSure Is More Like It
by Confed / January 31, 2007 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: PlaysForSure

Thank you. I feared as much. In fact, I've tried recommending the folders option to the Sandisk people and they give me a brush off. The cold truth is they don't need people like me; their market is for the people you describe.

The new Media Player 11 has a tendancy to write back old files and data, even if you do a reformat of the player. Sandisk said I had to use version 10, which I refuse to go back to.

In Media Player 11, how does one import the playlist files in one's My Playlist folder? There doesn't seem to be anywhere a person can drag them. I have over 50 carefully edited playlists that it would take me forever to redo. They won't work on version 10 and I've deleted all my playlists in the Media Player 11 library. I don't know how to get my .wpl files into the library. All sorts of interesting things happen when I try importing them by dragging them. The program seems to strip the playlist file and dump all the files in the playlist haphazzardly into the sync box.

Collapse -
Did you use WMP 11?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 9:51 PM PST

WMP 11 has a feature (?) in it's submenus (configuration) to automatically rename and move files to their proper location.

You can imagine that some don't like this.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Confed / February 2, 2007 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Did you use WMP 11?

Yes I can. Software is becoming more intrusive and mean-spirited. Roxio, for example, blocks users from doing things that were always possible with previous versions. The only reason seems to be that they think it can be done more effectively with their other aps. So all attempts to do things the way YOU want, as opposed to how THEY think things should work, are rigged to forcing you to do it their way. This same philosophy governs Microsoft in much the same way.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!