HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

sync live mail contacts and windows vista contacts

by berrisfordjohn / May 15, 2009 11:24 PM PDT

Does anyone know how to sync windows live contacts from a hotmail account with the local windows vista contacts? Or this even possible? I want to do this so that I can sync my live contacts with my mobile. phone.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sync live mail contacts and windows vista contacts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sync live mail contacts and windows vista contacts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is a way...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2009 5:35 AM PDT

It is not the most convenient of processes, but you can import/export contacts as needed. You will need to import/export your contacts up to three times, once for each of the following:

Windows Mail
-> Addresses Vista's local contact store.
-> Go File->Import->Windows Contacts->CSV or File->Export->Windows Contacts and choose CSV (Comma Separated Values) format.

Windows Live Contacts
-> Addresses Windows Live's local contact store.
-> Press the Alt key and then go File->Import->Comma Separated Values (.CSV) or File->Export->Comma Separated Values (.CSV).

Mail.Live.com
-> Addresses Windows Live's online contact store.
-> Open your Contacts page and then go Manage->Import or Manage->Export, choosing the Outlook Express (using CSV) format.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
but can I automate it
by berrisfordjohn / May 16, 2009 9:16 PM PDT
In reply to: There is a way...

Thanks
that is a work around and what I am doing at the minute.
But is there a way to automate this process? I would like changes make in one set of contacts to be reflected in the others without having to remember to import export my contacts manually.

Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2009 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: but can I automate it

There is no way of automating the process as-is and I have not yet encountered a third-party application that has that ability. I will note however, that Windows Mail was only meant to be a temporary solution while Windows Live Mail was developed, and is absent from Windows 7, so at some of the overlap will be eliminated.

Sorry.
John

Collapse -
I'd say changes are coming
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 20, 2009 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: No...

As John noted, you don't see Windows Mail in Windows 7. I think we'll see a good fix coming down the pipe soon.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.