Phones forum

General discussion

Sync Blackberry to Outlook 2010

by Bill Osler / July 31, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

I'm brand new to both Outlook 2010 (32 bit) and to my BB Storm2. I was stunned to discover that BB Desktop Manager does not yet support Outlook 2010 (and 64 bit sync isn't scheduled until NEXT YEAR? That is INEXCUSABLE). However, I have read that there are 3rd party products that advertise Outlook 2010 sync capabilities now. Does anybody have personal experience with these products?

I don't know what information is necessary here. My PC runs Win 7 Pro, 64 bit. The BB Storm 2 has wireless sync to Enterprise Server for work email (it appears on my Blackberry's 'Desktop') and to my Yahoo email for personal stuff. I don't use Outlook calendar at work and I don't have a clue whether that is part of the sync with my Blackberry 'Desktop' I want to set up my PC's "Desktop Manager" (or equivalent) to perform on demand sync to my home Outlook installation for my personal calendar and contact list.

Since I'm a completely green user I don't know what my options are for personal/business contacts and how well the Blackberry will interact with 2 different Outlook installations (work's Outlook Enterprise and my home PC's Outlook 2010).

I don't care that much about email on the Blackberry. I bought it primarily for other reasons (calendar, phone contacts, and a couple of medical applications).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sync Blackberry to Outlook 2010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sync Blackberry to Outlook 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 7:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm not quite sure who is getting beaten
by Bill Osler / August 1, 2010 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: This one

RIM is getting some bad press about it, the users are feeling abused and some of the competition is probably benefiting.

I can't change my phone right now (have to wait 2 years) so I'll have to limp along until RIM gets its act together or I find a viable alternative for sync.

Which brings up the original question ... has anybody used any of the 3rd party sync products that nominally achieve what RIM has been unable to achieve by syncing with Outlook 2010?

Collapse -
How odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

The link I gave you showed you there are workarounds to getting this to sync. Why not go with what works?

Collapse -
You mean the Companionlink software?
by Bill Osler / August 1, 2010 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: How odd.

As best I can tell there is nothing currently available from RIM that works, or else we are interpreting the information out there rather differently. I've found hints that RIM is planning to release something that may work for Outlook 2010 this month, but personally I have to look on that as uncertain until it is actually delivered.

I had hoped to get information about the experience of somebody who has actually used some of the 3rd party software without adding yet another forum to my list of memberships. Since this is a 'Blackberry' forum I thought it was possible somebody in the CNET community had dealt with the same problem. At least here I have some feel for which users have a clue but in a new setting it's a bit harder to figure out. At this point I'm not in a hurry to drop more money on the problem unless I have a feel for whether I'm opening yet another can of worms.

Collapse -
"there is nothing currently available from RIM that works,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 7:12 AM PDT

This is true. The link I gave used Microsoft Office in the 32 bit version and OTHER solutions.

I hear and read that you do not want to do that and must wait for a RIM solution.

I bet it won't be much longer.
Bob

Collapse -
Well, not quite ...
by Bill Osler / August 2, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

I don't want to spend money on non-RIM solutions unless I have a high level of confidence that the money is well spent, especially given RIM's stated intention of fixing the problem 'soon'. That's not quite the same thing.

I was hoping that somebody who has used one of these solutions would comment on the thread. Oh well. I take it from your lack of comment that you have not personally used something like the Companionlink software.

Collapse -
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, not quite ...

I only helped a friend using the solutions noted in the link. That is to install the Microsoft Office in the order noted.

Again I hear you loud and clear you want a RIM ONLY SOLUTION. We'll have to wait.
Bob

Collapse -
Outlook 2010 BlackBerry Sync 3rd Party App
by ibm9370 / September 16, 2010 7:06 PM PDT

I found a company with a 3rd party app that will sync your BlackBerry to Outlook 2010 64 Bit. The Sync software is Wireless and sold as a service and it helps coordiante multiple computers. The company is 20 years old and I have used some of their products in the past with good results. There web site is www.oawireless.com.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?