Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Symantex breakdown.

by standeb / July 31, 2005 10:02 PM PDT

Dear Sirs.

I run windows xp. My Norton files are damaged. I am not now secured. I am getting a message that my key is invalid. That is not so.

I would like to download the free virsion of avant can you assist me to locate the same, and the correct search name?

Thank you

standeb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Symantex breakdown.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Symantex breakdown.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you Google it?
by Coryphaeus / July 31, 2005 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Symantex breakdown.

Do you mean Avant or AVG?

Collapse -
Re: Norton Breakdown
by standeb / August 1, 2005 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you Google it?

Dear Messrs. Coryphaeus, Griff Thomas & Keeys Bakker.

I thank god there are people like you.

Cory, I mispelled the Word. My apologies.

I have downloaded Avant. I must say it's slow but so far effective. It does no seem to suck up all my power as norton does. I have tried to disable Norton but to no avail. I may have to unstall it.

Trouble was that I had Norton installed on 24/5/05 the date of it's expiry. This morning I found that my key was invalid or my trial had expired and all how I tried, I got the message that my key was invalid. I
am trying to e-mail them but to no avail. I will however find the e-mail address. It's there somewhere and send an attachment with my bill etc.

Never the less I learnt about avant from a thread I read from you Griff, sometime ago. I somehow believe in your advice. I will keep Avant and see how it goes.

Meanwhile thank you guys. and god bless.

Standeb.

Collapse -
Re: Norton Breakdown.
by standeb / August 3, 2005 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Norton Breakdown

Dear Sirs.

Permit me to refer to previous correspondence in the matter at caption.

I run XP pro. 128 bit, SP2 installed. I as you are aware have installed Avant 4. But I have not been able to disable Norton.

My problems are : -

(a) How to totally disable Norton and not uninstall it?

(2) Windows Virus Protection SP2 does not detect Avent 4 and because of this the anti virus protection is off. Can you advise as to how to remedy that situation?

Windows Virus Proctection works with an independent anti virus and because it does not detect Avent 4 the
anti virus proctection remains off. I cant'turn it on.

Please advise.

Thanking you;

Standeb.

(2)

Collapse -
Standeb, Please Get The Terms Correct...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 4, 2005 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Norton Breakdown.

First, I think you mean Avast 4 (NOT Avant) antivirus? Is that correct.

Next, Windows doesn't have "virus protection". If you are referring to the Security Center warning which doesn't recognize Avast, then ignore that warning..It doesn't mean the antivirus program isn't working. It only means that the Security Center doesn't recognize Avast. In fact, I turn OFF all those Security Center warnings anyway. If you want to do that, open the Control Panle, then double click on the "Security Center" icon, then click on the "Change the way Security Center alerts me", then UNCHECK all the boxes, click on OK.

Next, if you're not going to use Norton, then you should uninstall it. Norton's installation instructions require the removal of ALL other antivirus programs while their program is running. If you want to leave it there temporarily, shut down Norton but opening the System Configuration Utility, (Start-Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotes), then click on OK), then click on the Start UP tab and UNCHECK all the boxes which refer to Norton/Symantec.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Norton breakdown.
by standeb / August 7, 2005 1:06 AM PDT

Hello Grif,

Thank you for your advice. I have printed all of the replies given in this thread for future reference.

I have uninstalled Norton from the system and now avast works perfectly. It does not suck so much power from the system as Norton did and the system works much faster.

I have also used Ccleaner to clean out my registry. I have not done a lot of that. Only selected items. I have to learn up some more before doing the whole works because I am afraid that I may remove some some things that should not remove.

The system seem happier at work now.

Thanks to you and you fellow moderators. I have learned a great deal.

Your advice is usually helpful. When you give advice It helps. I never hope it helps. Your'e spot on.

God bless.

Standeb

Collapse -
Re: Norton Breakdown
by standeb / August 11, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

Hi Grif

I have suceeded in finally getting Avast to work with Security Centre. I also did some registry cleaning with Ccleaner.

My system now works faster and smoother. I made sure that I did not clean out anything that I should not.

I also deleted norton. I love how the system now works.

Thanks to you and your fellow moderators for all that help. I learned a great deal.

Best wishes to you all.

Standeb.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Standeb, Good Job & Glad WE Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Norton Breakdown
Collapse -
Re: avant
by Kees Bakker / July 31, 2005 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Symantex breakdown.
Collapse -
Standeb, For Those Links...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 1, 2005 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: avant
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, Grif. They were nice when I pasted them :-(
by Kees Bakker / August 1, 2005 4:04 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.