Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

SWITCHING SECURITY SYSTEMS

I recently purchased a new Desktop PC. It came with a 6 months free Webroot security system. I intend to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials. Several problems arise:
1- Do I have to uninstall the Webroot system first?
2- Will I then be unprotected until I install MSSE?
3- Does MSSE include a firewall?
4- If not, do I need one? And if I need one where do I get it?
5- I am NOT interested in discussions of how good or bad my decision is. I realize that many of you have very strong opinions about various security systems. I have read hundreds of recommendations, and have settled on MSSE. I am a very untechnical person and just need help in doing what I have chosen to do.
Thank you for any and all help.

My PC specs:
HP PAVILION ALL-IN-ONE PC MS225
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
System Model AY587AA-ABA MS225
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250, 1600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Product #: AY587AA-ABA
Serial #: 4CS007057F
Software Build #: A1NAv6PrA2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SWITCHING SECURITY SYSTEMS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SWITCHING SECURITY SYSTEMS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft Security Essentials

In reply to: SWITCHING SECURITY SYSTEMS

You will have to remove Webbroot before you install MSSE. However you should remove it after downloading MSSE.

After you install MSSE; to a full scan.

MSSE does not come with a firewall. You should have Windows Firewall on your computer. It should be fine for your needs.

If you are looking for a other firewall. I recommend Comodo firewall. It is part of the Comodo security suite. But you can install the firewall part seperate. It is free.

I hope that this helps

manmur

Collapse -
Re: Switching Security Systems..

In reply to: SWITCHING SECURITY SYSTEMS

cpmdave..

1 - Do I have to uninstall the Webroot system first? : Yes! You also need to uninstall any Anti-Malware software, which is running in "real-time". Some examples being, the paid versions of SUPERAntiSpware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. (Windows Defender will automatically be disabled by the MSE installer)

2 - Will I then be unprotected until I install MSSE? : Prior to removing Webroot, download the MSE installer. Once downloaded, you won't need to be online, in order to complete the installation.

I would also suggest downloading AppRemover , in case you have a problem uninstalling Webroot's trial version. It's a relatively simple and straight-forward application to use. I'm not saying you will have a problem. But you'll have it, if you need it.

3 - Does MSSE include a firewall? No.

4 - If not, do I need one? And if I need one where do I get it? Yes. You need one. The Windows Firewall is adequate. See #3 in the check list below. It discusses the Windows Firewall.

I think the following is worth reading, prior to installing Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

"Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials"

Take note of #4 where it states, "If you are 64-bit, you may want to avoid any issues and click on ?locales and languages? and select the 64-bit download for Vista or Windows 7, if that is your OS."

If you have any questions along the way, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
One Added Note..

In reply to: Re: Switching Security Systems..

Collapse -
(NT) TO: MANMUR & CAROL--a very big THANK YOU

In reply to: One Added Note..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!