HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

Switching over to second hard drive.

by aimeekay / June 4, 2008 1:17 AM PDT

I have two hard drives inside my tower and I was just wondering how I can switch the main drive to be the secondary drive. My secondary drive used to be the main one. I went in to check my connections one day and when I turned my computer on after that the secondary drive was now the main drive and the other drive was not even there. It revived my computer back to January 6th, 2007. So I just wanted to know how I can switch back the main drive to be the secondary drive and vise versa.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Switching over to second hard drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Switching over to second hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
search "msconfig", no quotation marks.
by Dango517 / June 4, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

right click it when it appears. When the application applet appears choose "boot" tab then choose the drive you want by clicking on it and then press the "set as default" button. Then restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
not working
by aimeekay / June 4, 2008 7:03 AM PDT

I did what you said but when i got to the boot tab and clicked on any other option it just went straight back to the bottom option which was

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect.

The other options are

[bootloader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]

It just wont let me click over to any of the other ones. I know that there is the C drive and then the F drive. The F drive is the one I want to make the primary drive.

Collapse -
My apologies
by Dango517 / June 4, 2008 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: not working

I'm confusing my operating systems here. Try this instead.......go to "help and support" and type in the search box "To specify the default operating system for startup" (no quotes).

Note the caution listed here.

Or, follow this path...Start, control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery, operating systems startup, default operating system. Click the check box for the drive you wish to start first.

If you need to manually rewrite the boot sequence you'll need to search on line for that information.

Also:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559

Collapse -
still not working
by aimeekay / June 5, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

It didnt work but what i did was took all of my important files and put them onto CD-R's. then i put in the windows xp cd and just formatted both hard drives. i then put windows on the hard drive that i wanted and it now works. at least i have the other if i need it.

Collapse -
Ouch!
by Dango517 / June 5, 2008 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: still not working

Sorry to hear that, just re-installed my OS on a new drive yesterday, took eleven hours.

I have two drives; I use the second drive as a back up and simply use drag and drop to back up my files. A USB or memory stick drive is needed to do this.

You could also install Ubuntu on it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

It's a free OS but I'd suggest you order the disk rather then attempt to down load it from on line.

Note: The jumper/shunts need to be re-set to use a dual master configuration for a two drive system. See your drive manufactures recommendations for setting the jumpers.

By the way, this is very easy to fix in the Vista OS. I also noticed that acquiring drivers is also much simpler using auto updates and "Problem reports and solutions" in Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.