Desktops forum

General discussion

Switching from laptop to desktop - need help, please

I currently own a 4-year old Toshiba Satellite 1625 laptop that I have been very happy with - up to the last 6 months. But it's now time to purchase a new computer and I have decided to go with a desktop - I don't need the portability and think I can get more with a desktop.

I am trying to decide between a Dell 9100 and one of the HP models. I don't do a lot of gaming/graphics, other than a little internet bridge - nor do I watch DVDs on the computer. There are only adults in the house.

I do surf the net and do Word/Excel/Access and Quickbooks. Perhaps I would do more with equipment that would allow me to do more.

Can someone help lead me down the right path? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Switching from laptop to desktop - need help, please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Switching from laptop to desktop - need help, please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dell 9100 or just DIY

In reply to: Switching from laptop to desktop - need help, please

the benefits of the dell is btx which will cool your gpu very well, hence gaming. you could just build it yourself. intel dual core or amd dual core.

konny

Collapse -
Dell vs. Reviews

The Dell 9100 took "Editor's Choice". All you have to do is configure it to your tastes. IF I were ever to buy a new machine (I build my own), it would be the Dell for the best overall reliability. There are more powerful machines out there but they can cost several thousand dollars. I am writing this response on a Dell Inspiron 9200. My main machine just cooked from a power surge despite UPS and dedicated circuit. But I digress.

Collapse -
Yes, a Dual-Core processor desktop

like the Dell 9100 would be a good choice.

Building one would not be any cheaper than buying one. Re my post comparing a buy/build:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=110933&messageID=1265362

Dell changes their setup concering prices and what they give so called ''free'' every week usually on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. You may want to check on line for several weeks what is the best buy, or even wait for a best buy you missed to come around again (if you are in no rush).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dell 5100 or 5100C with 5x1 series/dual core

Collapse -
Thanks Roger, Dell announced them Tuesday. The

In reply to: (NT) Dell 5100 or 5100C with 5x1 series/dual core

The 5100C (narrow tower) offers the Pent D Dual Core Processor in 2.80GHz or 3.0GHZ, or choose the Pent 4 Processors 5x1 series (non dual core).

The 5100 does not offer the Pent D Dual Core Processsor, only the Pent 4 Processors 5x1 series.

Dell's announcement:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/pressoffice/en/2004/2005_06_28_rr_001?c=us&l=en&s=corp
(Note the lack of PCI slots in the 5100C. Also, no mention of 64-bit support. The older Pent 4 5xx series did not support 64-bit, but the Pent 4 6xx and D dual-core did...questions to be asked Dell.)

Configure/customize for the 5100C:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=D51CSAP&s=dhs

Configure/customize for the 5100:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=D51SAP&s=dhs

Collapse -
Checking Intel, the P4 series 5x1 do have 64-bit

In reply to: Thanks Roger, Dell announced them Tuesday. The

support (EM64T)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.