General discussion

switching between desktop speakers and a usb headset

Please let me know if there is a practical way of switching between desktop speakers and a usb headset.

The point being that I wanted to record my voice using the headset microphone. Is changing the default devices in XP the best and/or only way to do make that switch?

I have discovered that I can use the headset for Skype and the desktop speakers to stream audio:

To use your USB device and your PC speakers simultaneously, please perform the following steps:

1) Go to Start menu -> Settings -> Control panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices.
2) Open the 'Audio' tab and select your sound card as Sound playback Default device.
3) Open the 'Voice' tab and select your sound card as Sound playback Default device.
4) Go to Skype -> Tools -> Options -> Audio Settings and select your USB device as 'Microphone' and 'Speakers' selection.
Thank you, Skype support,for that information.

Here's the history:
I added a Gigaware USB Headphone Set to a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop.I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

I had asked about this before and was told:
?I?ve bought a switch box for that. Like http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/productSearch/prod3090125
No recommendation. Just the first google hit for switch headset speakers.There are others also.?

I just called plantronics and they said there is no product available to switch between a usb headset and desktop speakers attached to a sound card. I called Radio Shack and they said the product they had is no longer available and was not for a usb headset anyway. My search efforts only found the Plantronics

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: switching between desktop speakers and a usb headset
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: switching between desktop speakers and a usb headset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info