General discussion

Switch to Mac OS?

I am considering switching from windows xp to a mac os on a dell inspiron 5100 with a pentium 4 processor (not sure what other info would pertain to the answer).Is this possible or is a mac pc required?
What other requirements do I consider?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Switch to Mac OS?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Switch to Mac OS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wow, are you confused.

Where to start on this one. It is always nice to hear about someone considering the switch to the Mac OS but I have to ask, what prompted your train of thought and how much research did you do? The Mac OS will NOT run on your Dell Inspiron 5100 machine. In fact, the Mac OS will not run on any machine that runs windows. (with some exceptions).
The Mac OS runs only on machines built by Apple which is one of the reasons why the system is so stable, secure and a pleasure to use. The hardware is designed to take full advantage of the OS and the OS, also built by Apple, is designed to take full advantage of the hardware.
Your best bet would be to start with the Mac Mini, you will need a USB keyboard and mouse and a monitor. The Mac Mailorder houses are adding a KB and Mouse with the purchase of a Mac Mini.

- Collapse -
Reply from confused.

You're right.I just want to get away from windows.What I have seen of and heard about Mac,I've liked and it has greatly sparked my interest.I can't afford a new machine right now but am tired of the limitations and mindnumbing of windows.I guess for now I will install Linux as I plan on just dumping windows and immersing myself in the challenge.
Thanks for the reply.Further help or suggestions will be equally appreciated.

- Collapse -
Dumping windows

Linux will do as an alternative, at least it is not windows and it is a step in the right direction.
There must be lots of people out there who are tired of being Beta testers for M$

- Collapse -
But before you do...

Having changed OS in anger in the past, I know you can get in a mess without a little preparation.

First, does it run the applications you require? If so, do you have those applications, or will it require a 'crossgrade', or new purchase?

Next, do your peripherals, such as your modem and printer have drivers for the new OS? If so, you'd be well advised to download and save those while you still have a fully functioning (by Windows standards at least) computer.

Good luck!

- Collapse -
thanks

Thank you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info