Computer Help forum

Question

Switch to Linux, or stick with Windows?

Hi,
Im fed up of Windows, it recently updated and took about 5 hours to install then when I turned my laptop back on, the updates apparently failed and Windows decided to 'revert changes'.
So, I've been looking into swapping to Linux - Im looking for opinions on pro's and cons to switching. How big are the differences? Is it actually more reliable? Can I install it along side windows (i.e without uninstalling windows)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Switch to Linux, or stick with Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Switch to Linux, or stick with Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This one is simpler than it seems.

In reply to: Switch to Linux, or stick with Windows?

If you know Linux and if the applications you want to use are on Linux then you do that.

Some need to run Office (the one from Microsoft) and well, you as a Linux user know that's a little hard to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on you

It depends on you, and as Bob suggests, the apps you use. Some will be fine with OpenOffice/LibreOffice as an alternative to MS Office, some won't. Some people have other "must have" apps that will not run under Linux.

As for the differences, that kind of depends on the distribution you use, but to get some basic idea of what you might be in for, you could download the Ubuntu distribution and try it out. It lets you boot the entire thing off the DVD so there's no installation required. Then you can play around with it a little and see what you think.

Alternately, you could install a distribution or three into a virtual machine a la VirtualBox or something similar. Also a very low risk proposition, since if you don't like it, you just delete the VM and that's it. You'll likely get a better feel for the performance of Linux in a VM, but you'll be less likely to know if there are any potential issues with your laptop's hardware that would become apparent by booting the OS directly. So, you'll probably want to do a little mixing and matching of the two. Maybe boot the install DVD, see if it falls over from lack of hardware support. If not, then go ahead and install it into a VM.

Many people, however, seem to find Mac OS X as the happy medium between Windows and Linux. That is, a Unix foundation with a Windows-ee interface. So that might also be something to consider. Looks like you're probably about due for another laptop in the next year give or take, so if you have an Apple store or something near you, you could go in and play with one a little and see how that grabs you.

Collapse -
Answer
Linux Ubuntu

You can use both, if you so choose. The latest version of Ubuntu is 11.10 and is really slick. As other posters have noted this is NOT Windows and there are differences such as Open Office which is a functioning office suite that is built into Ubuntu. There are so many plugins, tricks and tweaks to do so many different tasks it is nearly mind boggeling but I have used it as a dual boot system for years and really like it. As the others will tell you, there can be some bumps along the way but there are usually ways to smooth them out. No, it isn't for everyone but those, such as myself who use it generally really like it, it can be a lot of fun. Your choice, good luck!

Collapse -
Answer
5 hours for update?

I probably would not blame MS for that. Somehow I think something got lost through the traffic. But if you ask me...I think linux is great. Yeah, MS did not get too much money from me.

Collapse -
Answer
As the others have said ...

whether Linux is for you or not depends mostly on the applications you need or want to run.

If there are any games you can't live without check to see if there is a Linux version (most will not have one).

You can install Linux (Ubuntu is a popular distribution) alongside Windows 7 and dual boot the computer or you could make use of a live cd or dvd while you see how you and Linux get along. If using the Live CD running from your CD or DVD drive or a Live USB version you will need to realize that the Linux distro will be running considerably slower than if installed to a hard drive simply because the CD or USB media is slower than a hard drive.

If you are CAREFUL to not disturb the recovery partition on your Dell computer you could also simply install Linux on the hard drive and if necessary use the recovery partition to restore the computer to factory condition.

Just like with Microsoft's Windows, Linux "reliability" depends much on what the user does or doesn't do. Linux Distributions have LOTS of patches just like Windows and just like Windows, if you do not install them you are leaving yourself open for security exploits.

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Collapse -
Answer
Be safe dual boot.

My laptop with Windows was acting up about 6 months ago, I thought I was going to loose everything. Got Ubuntu set up with a dual boot. I don't use it very often but having it there is reassuring. The other bonus is there's some very good software only available on Linux.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.