Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Switch from PC (piece o' crap) to Mac - use old hardware

by jbjerome / May 5, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

So I am getting a dual G4 powerMac, 2.5GHz, system and finally getting rid of the bane of computing - Windows. I have some hardware that I will be using with my new Mac, such as my scanner and FireWire external drive (not to mention my iPod and digital camera). But my question is this, the unit comes with a 128MB nVidia card but my PC has a 256MB ATI Radeon 8xAGP card...can I possibly swap it with the one in the Mac, as this card has dual monitor out, DVI and so on. (There is no official driver support from ATI on their website though.) Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Switch from PC (piece o' crap) to Mac - use old hardware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Switch from PC (piece o' crap) to Mac - use old hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video Cards
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 9:45 AM PDT

Unfortunately I cannot give you the answer you are looking for. Both ATI and Radeon would like us to believe that it is a much more expensive project to make a video card for the Mac than it is for the PC. Actually, apart from the Firmware on the card, I believe they are identical! Without the Mac firmware and the necessary drivers, the card will almost certainly NOT work in your new machine.
There are web sites that will instruct you on how to "Flash" the firmware of a PC video card to Mac and how to get around the driver problem. Just do a Google search for them.
Enjoy the upgraded G4 and save up for a better graphics card

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Piece o' Crap
by taboma. / June 7, 2005 3:44 PM PDT

Jerome, Had to laugh at your original subject line: ?Piece o'crap.? Funny to me at 1:00am. I use the term all the time. Sometimes even worse!
Hope that you are a new Mac user shortly.
My mac card is very good, built-in and not expensive. You will like the 3-D effects. I suppose that you can also purchase a souped-up version 3-D card.
Please keep up with the posts, would like to hear more from you.
Are you from Ireland by chance?

Kevin

Collapse -
Not from Erie, actually
by jbjerome / June 8, 2005 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Piece o' Crap

As sson as I can I am switching my PC over to Linux, and not deal with this winblows crap, so that I shall have two decent computers, well one great one and one good one.

Collapse -
Not from Erie
by taboma. / June 8, 2005 1:51 PM PDT

Jerome, Welcome to Mac when you decide to get rid of that piece o' crap. I kept mine for gaming. Use a nice Mac with OS-10 software. Jerome, you will like it, I am sure.
Meanwhile, I have seen your posts from time to time. Obviously you are not a new kid on the block. Check out the Intel issue also. Msay add fuel to the fire for you.

Let me guess? Canada? UK?

Keep the posts coming. Nice!

Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.