Dell forum

Question

Switch Dell Optiplex 360 from xp to vista

Hi. I have a Dell Optiplex 360 that came loaded with xp and vista. It also came with a windows 7 upgrade dvd.

I opted for xp and it has been running on xp. I need to upgrade to vista for obvious reasons. As mentioned, it is already installed on the computer but I have no clue how to go about switching the computer over from xp to vista. Can someone walk me through this or provide a link to a support article that has step by step instructions.

If possible, including how and what to backup first so I don't loose emails, favorites, docs, etc. that would be great too.

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Switch Dell Optiplex 360 from xp to vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Switch Dell Optiplex 360 from xp to vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Same as you backup now.

In reply to: Switch Dell Optiplex 360 from xp to vista

Backup is something we do all the time so backup what you don't want to lose to your backups.
Notice that's plural?

OK and make sure it's not proprietary backups. You don't want to re-discover that you can't restore your Windows Backup now. Folk have learned that one over and over.

I've yet to see any tutorial to move from XP to Vista. But if you have Windows 7 and your machine has the drivers, install that instead. Dell should have install instructions if you put in your service tag at dell.com (As you are a long time owner, you know that system and I'll pause here.)

Collapse -
first vista?

In reply to: Same as you backup now.

Dell will not help in anyway without my paying them. I don't believe I can go directly to 7 because on the windows 7 cd it says "from vista to 7 upgrade". so, I'm back to figuring out how to get the computer to vista first.

Collapse -
That was good to share.

In reply to: first vista?

It wasn't obvious from your posts until this one. OK just like before you backup to your backups in ways that are not proprietary or use any "Windows Backup" app.

Then check your docs (use Dell Docs and your service tag) on how to do a factory restore and see if it offers the Vista option. At worse case you'll have to buy a new Windows 7.

Collapse -
service tag not being recognized

In reply to: That was good to share.

I have had no luck with dell trying to use my service tag because they keep telling me it is invalid even though I am reading it off of my computer. that is why I sorta have to figure this out on my own.
I do have a vista dvd that came with the computer it says: "already installed on computer. Reinstallation DVD windows vista 32bit sp1"
Two questions:
1 - how do I get it to boot from vista since it is already installed on my computer -or-
2-how do I use the cd to make vista the default operating system?

Collapse -
That's a shame. Why?

In reply to: service tag not being recognized

Because that's how you find the right drivers and how to restore it to Vista. Many folk do not create restore or clone the drive for recovery so this is quickly sounded like it may end up with a lot more work than you expected.

As to the Reinstallation DVD, you can try booting that and see what happens. Dell had dozens of recovery systems so I can't guess which you will use. That's why the service tag is key to this if you don't recall the web page for your machine to get to the right Dell Docs.

Collapse -
don't know why

In reply to: That's a shame. Why?

I was on chat tech and giving them my service tag and they kept telling me it wasn't correct.

Collapse -
I don't use their chat

In reply to: don't know why

I use the dell site and type in the number.

Collapse -
successful - but new problem transaferring dbx files

In reply to: I don't use their chat

Thanks to all the help I was able to update to first vista and then windows 7. I couldn't go directly to windows 7.

However, I can not get my .dbx outlook files into windows live mail.

When I try by selecting Import Messages - Outlook Express 6 - and then browse to the folder where I stored the .dbx files , I get a message saying they can't find any messages. It almost seems like a problem where I the browsing function won't allow me to get into the folder to then select the messages. It stops at the folder.

anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Collapse -
I don't think that will work.

In reply to: successful - but new problem transaferring dbx files

Post was last edited on April 2, 2016 10:36 AM PDT

Collapse -
copy/paste them manually

In reply to: successful - but new problem transaferring dbx files

into the mail folder, replacing the new ones that were just installed there. Maybe outlook will see them on a reboot. It's so much easier to do in Thunderbird. I can still import, or manually move mail files all the way back to Netscape 2 Messenger into Thunderbird and have them work OK.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.