HolidayBuyer's Guide

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Swapping xbox dvd drives

by freakyjord2025 / November 21, 2005 9:06 PM PST

In my previous forum, I had the disc error on my 1st edition xbox for any disc i tried to play. i am now just going to buy a new dvd drive and install it, but i dont want to use the thomson one because thats what it came w/ and it sucks. I want to put the samsung or philips drive that comes w/ newer xboxes, but im not sure if they will work properly w/ the 1st one. please answer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Swapping xbox dvd drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Swapping xbox dvd drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wny not dive in and get it over with?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2005 9:31 PM PST

The old XBox is going for 99 bucks (or less) around here. Maybe you have other issues you didn't reveal such as nocash or a need to find rock solid "it will work" advice.

If you use google.com you find out what that drive is connected with and how many makes, models are used by many others.

Can I ask if you've heard of google.com?

Bob

Collapse -
try this
by doobzilla / December 9, 2005 5:45 AM PST

As a professional Xbox modifier, I can say that yes you can use either the samsung or phillips drive in your old xbox. Try http://www.llamma.com for parts, these guys are some of the best in the business. But as far as the price is concerned you might be better off just buying a new xbox. Just be warned that if your old xbox is modified and is not a v1.6; and if the new xbox that you get is a v1.6 you will need to buy a new modchip. I hope that this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.