General discussion

Swapped drive into new computer, now can't access My Docs

My friend's motherboard crashed so I offered to put his drive in my computer and burn his files to CD. The hard drive installed fine in my unit, and I can access virtually all the files except for the "My Documents" files for any of the users. If I try to access any of those types of files in XP or the Command Line I get an "Access Denied" error. I am sure this is just some sort of security feature, but now that the drive will no longer start in the original machine how can I get to these files? Both computers are Windows XP, and I can get the passwords if I need to. Any help would be very much appreciated.

-Chris

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Swapped drive into new computer, now can't access My Docs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Swapped drive into new computer, now can't access My Docs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
- Collapse -
it worked for me

CNET Forums

Forum Info