Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!

I partitioned the 250 gig drive (drive letter F), slaved it, then cloned the OS from the 80 gig master drive (has 2 partitions C, E).

I've mastered the 250, now in Explorer, the new 250 HD shows as: C-System (F: ).

The 80 gig slave shows as: C-System (C: ), and the E partition shows E-2nd (E: ).

Disk Management shows the same, and the master C-System (F: ) shows as a system partition, and the slaved C-System (C: ) shows as active (if it makes any difference.

Earlier, I changed the drive letter and volume label of the slaved C-System. Then I wasn't able to boot off of F-System (C: ), and had to go into the BIOS to boot off the slaved C and re-clone from the 80 gig to the 250 again. Was getting a "can't authenticate activation" kind of message. Tried copying the wpa.dbl from the original drive to the new to no avail.

What should I do with the drive letters? I guess having 2 system partitions may be confusing the system, but, more importantly, I'm afraid if I destroy the slaved C partition, I wont be able to boot at all, and have to do a clean reinstall of everything, which I dread like the plague. The system seems to be working absolutely fine.

Think having a system partition on the 1st of the 2 partitions on the slave makes a difference? How can I Get C-System (F: ) to be simply C? I doubt having both my optical drives connected really has anything to do with anything; anyway, as I said in a prior post, disconnecting them wasn't a viable option. I'd literally have to take the system apart to accomplish that (yes, the case really is that tight!). I did take the 80 gig slave off and rebooted in the hopes that something would change, but it didn't.

Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. fwiw, this is the first time I've used Disk Managent to create a primary partition to load an OS; I wonder if I fdisked if it would have made any difference. Heeeelp!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS: I took the slave off entirely; now I can't boot unless the slave is in.

In reply to: Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!

So this means I'm really running off the OS on the slave???

Also, fwiw, the master is connected to the 2nd connector on the IDE cable, and the slave on the 1st connector. I can't see how this would make a difference as the drives are jumpered as slave/master. This is getting curiouser and curiouser...

Collapse -
Re:Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!

I am pretty certain of what you did would have worked if the OS were win98; but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if MS did things to the XP so that it can't be clone.

Ok if that didn't work so how about just install the 250G HDD. as master and then install the OS; now just copy everything over from the 80G drive. Would that work? Is this fun!

Collapse -
No, I ain't havin' fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to: Re:Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!

I think the problem is there can't be 2 active partitions. I dunno, I figured I try Disk Management, thinking it would be easier. To make things worse, I can't find my pc tool-kit! I'm about to chew my arm off! But I'm a tenacious ******; ain't gonna let dollar Bill beat me! I'm missing some little detail, just don't know what- YET!

Collapse -
Re:No, I ain't havin' fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to: No, I ain't havin' fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For 2 active partitions maybe be true for XP but it's not the case with win98 (I can have 2 active partitions with win98). Not on the same HDD. of course but in 2 separate drives.

Where do you find disk management? Maybe I'll install XP and play with it a bit..like I say, it sounds like fun.

Collapse -
Re:Re:No, I ain't havin' fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to: Re:No, I ain't havin' fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You find Disk Management by right clicking My Computer, then left clicking Manage. Disk Management is in the menu. You can have 2 active partitions with XP as long as they're not on the same drive if I remember correctly- I'm sure I formatted the drive incorrectly, or did something with Ghost wrong. I'm going to bed. Enough for now!

Collapse -
Getting nowhere fast.

Tried taking off the 80 gig master, made the 250 the master, inserted the XP pro disk (after making cd-rom first boot device.) Get error message "NTLDR missing, press ctrl, alt, del to restart". So I can't seem to even load XP fresh on the 250 HD. I know I must have done something wrong in the preparation of the HD.

In disk management I destroyed the old partition, reformatted it as a primary, the marked it as active; did this last night, and Ghosted yet again, but the drive simply isn't bootable. I came across something in the help section, where it says I have to "initialize" the disk via control panel, but don't have the option. What next? I'm at my wit's end. Help please!

Collapse -
Re:Getting nowhere fast. Do you have the XP SP1 CD?

In reply to: Getting nowhere fast.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Getting nowhere fast. Do you have the XP SP1 CD? Yes, I do.

In reply to: Re:Getting nowhere fast. Do you have the XP SP1 CD?

I have the disk, and as mentioned above, I even mastered the new 250 drive, reset boot sequence to cd-rom first, then got the "no ntldr..." kinda message.

I first had the drive in an external enclosure case, and XP had no problem in recognizing it, and, through disk management, I formatted it as a logical drive.

When I slaved it to the primary channel in my system, I destroyed the partition, reformatted it as a primary partition, and set as active. Then I used Norton ghost to clone the partition.

When I make the 250 the primary, and the original 80 gig the slave, I'm able to boot, but if I take the 80 off, I get some kinda message about "can't authenticate activation". When I hit OK, the message just comes back, and I go into a reboot loop (if I keep hitting "OK". There were no hardware changes aside from the new drive. I tried copying the wpa.dbl file from the old to new drive, but that didn't make any difference.

I just reformatted yet again with the 250 as slave, and 80 as master, and did a clone. In Disk Management, the 80 shows as a system disk, while the 250 shows as Healthy and active.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm guessing I didn't prepare the drive correctly; how what, I have no idea. Would appreciate any help. TIA.

Collapse -
Latest BIOS.

In reply to: Re:Re:Getting nowhere fast. Do you have the XP SP1 CD? Yes, I do.

Getting a NTLDR failed when you set it to boot from CD can be a sign that the CD drive is aging, the CD is smudged or the BIOS is out of date.

An out of date BIOS can make for pleas of help just like yours.

Bob

Collapse -
Have latest BIOS and 2 new optical drives less than 5 months old (NT).

In reply to: Latest BIOS.

Collapse -
Re:brandon, maybe check out this
http://www.infinisource.com/features/backup-windowsxp2.html

#The first time your system is booted up with both your original and your personal back-up installed within your system, Windows XP recognizes a newly cloned drive, and once Windows XP assigns a secondary D: status to the cloned drive, it will not allow you to boot to that drive#
Collapse -
Re:Re:brandon, maybe check out this-Think you're onto something jonah

In reply to: Re:brandon, maybe check out this

I have Norton 2003, did a google and got hits for issues. XP seems to "ID" the drive (sometimes, it seems). I know people that swear by it.

The only way for me to make this work per the link you provided, is to interrupt the automatic reboot the system goes through. I'll have to look into this further or just tank the thought of imaging the drive. As usual, I've expended more time than it would have normally taken had I did a clean install. But I did attempt that, but for some reason, the system wasn't booting from the CD.

fwiw, before I did the clone, I chkdsked, defragged, uninstalled unnecessary programs, updated to latest BIOS, virus/spyware scanned, regcleaned.

I don't how much of what I've posted, but putting the 250 gigger on the secondary channel isn't an option. At this point, I'm willing to pay someone to do this for me! Man, what a wasted weekend! Thanks for the link, and hope you are well.

Collapse -
Re:Getting nowhere fast.

In reply to: Getting nowhere fast.

You mean with just the 250G drive alone as master and you can't install XP? Maybe you need to wipe all traces XP off of that drive first.

I want to tell you what I did with my system here (just for fun). I use "drivecopy v.2.0" and copy the XP of one partition to another partition on another drive and I was getting the same result as you did so you can maybe assum it's not the faults ghosting. I think I was actually getting both partitions to both separately; it's just that something refuse to be copy from the original XP partition. Like I said, you can't fool with MS.

The next thing I am going to do is to use "drive image" for this and see what will happen.

Collapse -
Re:Swapped 250 gig HD- drive letter mess!

Microsoft Windows does a system catalog of your computer system including what hard drives are installed and creates an ID based on that info. If the system has changed (250GB HD instead of 80GB HD) then ID will not match the generated ID.

Try doing this...

Remove 80GB from system. Do a clean install of Windows XP on the 250GB HD. Hook up the 80GB as slave drive. Create a new Ghost image of your DATA files only, not Win XP. Ghost those files to the 250GB HD. Install programs directly on the 250GB HD.

I know, I know, a lot of work. (If you added a second drive of the same size, the direct Ghost might have worked)...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.