Computer Help forum

General discussion

Svchost (GHP) crashes on startup, browsers disabled.

by Thing Two / June 16, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

Hello, been looking for the answer online for a couple days but with no luck, I figured I'd try asking here first.

During normal startup, svchost.exe, or the generic host process for win32, "encounters an error" and crashes. Strange thing is, my browsers can't/won't navigate to any web pages but instead always deliver the same "page cannot be displayed" message. However, my IM, teamspeak/vent, and command prompt pinging all work fine. I'm currently running in safe mode where the browsers apparently work.

I've scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware all at the same time to remove anything; I've checked my MTU setting and it seems fine; and I've tried a system restore but Norton blocks it (this is my parents computer that I'm trying to fix for them and they installed and uninstalled it so many times it's all jacked up and I can't remove it).

Was hoping anyone could point me in the right direction, I can upload anything you might need (logs, etc.).

OS is XP Home Edition w/ SP3 running on an old-skool eMachine desktop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Svchost (GHP) crashes on startup, browsers disabled.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Svchost (GHP) crashes on startup, browsers disabled.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't Run Multiple Scanners "all at the same time"
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

The usually conflict and as a result won't delete the things you need to go..

It does indeed appear to be a malware problem so please restart Malwarebytes and update it to the most current version and definitions.. Once that's done, restart the computer into Safe Mode, then run a full system scan using Malwarebytes..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Once that's done, restart into "normal" Windows and run ANOTHER full system scan with Malwarebytes.. Each time, delete whatever is found..

Now download, install, update, then run a full system scan with the free SuperAntispyware tool from the link below.

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Repeat the scans till nothing is detected. If the tools above don't clean out the system, please let us know EXACTLY was is found.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Nope.
by Thing Two / June 16, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

Followed the steps for each program but message is the same. Due to all the scanning with the negative results, I'm starting to think it's not a virus or malware but rather windows itself?

Also, I meant I scanned with those three programs one after the other, not at the exact same time...

Collapse -
What's The "Message"?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope.

When attempting to help, the more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be. Tell us EXACTLY what you're seeing.

And by "Browsers disabled", if you mean that you simply can't access websites/internet with them, have you tried downloading, then running the free WinsockXPfix tool from the link below? It should fix any damaged internet software on the computer.. (Since you can't download it on your current machine, use a friend or family member's computer to download the file, then copy it to a CD or flash drive, then transfer it to the problem comp.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Generic Message
by Thing Two / June 16, 2009 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What's The "Message"?

I wasn't sure what you wanted/needed so I put that catch all phrase in my OP.

I'm getting the standard:
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

With the option to send the report or not.

As for the tool, I tried it previously after I saw it was recommended to someone else who was having a similar problem, but to no avail.

Side note: my browsers work while I run in safe mode with networking logged on as the computer admin (rather than the user account that's normally used for Windows).

Collapse -
And Could It Possibly Be A Corrupted User Profile..?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Generic Message

While in Safe Mode, try creating a new user account, with admin rights, then restart the computer into "normal" Windows and login as the new admin account.. Does it help? If so, then the old user profile is corrupted and you'll need to use the new account instead.. Personal files can be copied over from the previous account.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Worked! For a bit..
by Thing Two / June 17, 2009 7:54 AM PDT

I created another account in safe mode, and everything worked when I signed on it, for a moment :\

IE is working again, but not Firefox, IM, or TS/vent.

Collapse -
And To Test If Norton Is the Problem
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope.
Collapse -
Expired
by Thing Two / June 16, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

Downloaded and ran it but it says it's expired and exits (big suprise norton). I've also tried running through my whole computer/registry to eradicate any trace of it but it always gives my the "Access Denied" message or tells me I can't remove that component/file because it would compromise a norton product.

Collapse -
I Believe You Got the Wrong One..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Expired
Collapse -
Same, lol
by Thing Two / June 17, 2009 12:56 AM PDT

Expired as well :\

Collapse -
Tried Revo Uninstaller To Get Rid Of Norton?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Same, lol

Here's the link.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

And if this doesn't get it done, you might start leaning toward a full reformat and reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hmm
by Thing Two / June 18, 2009 3:52 AM PDT

Was hoping it wouldn't come to that (not sure if they still have their windows disk).

BTW (not sure if you saw it), I made another account like you said and now IE works, but Firefox still doesn't and now vent/IM don't.

Collapse -
Yep, I Saw It...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

Try uninstalling, reinstalling Firefox and you may need to reconfigure all your IM settings. Then again, if the system files are damaged beyone compare you may not have any other option than to reinstall everything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.