Question

svchost.exe CPU eater

hey

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: svchost.exe CPU eater
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: svchost.exe CPU eater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry, didn't put my text in my first post

Hi, it's been now 3 days that i'm trying to solve an issue with one of the svchost.exe process.

Problem # 1 : one of the svchost.exe process is dealing with 20+ programs, using almost 100% of my CPU. The result: I can't do anything because everything laggs.

When I reboot my PC, the CPU usage at the beginning is very low. But the more it goes, the more svchost.exe process is getting heavyer and heavyer. It goes from 2% to 15% to 50% and cap it at 100% CPU usage and stays there until I reboot my PC again.

Heres screens from Process Explorer and Task Manager
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/8243/sansretes.png
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8673/taskmanagerg.png

I searched forums and discussions to see what are the possible solutions for this. I tried many things like:

-Pause one by one every program in the svchost process to see which one was eating all my CPU: got nothing from this.
-Disabling automatic updates service: the scvhost.exe process was still using 100% CPU

finally someone said that microsoft actually did put an update that fixed that bugg.

unfortunately, another problem occured.

Problem #2: I can't access Windows Update's website, nor any of the "Download" pages on microsoft website

so heres what I need: can someone help me fix both of these issues

Heres an HiJackThis scan:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 00:01:46, on 2011-06-08
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17091)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Videotron\Services de s

- Collapse -
Help

I really need some help Sad I'm kinda lost in that informatic world Sad

- Collapse -
While we don't read those files DID YOU NOTICE?

The DNS entries? Also AVG has been known along with those YOUTUBE DOWNLOADERS to cause issues.

Think about why the DNS was there and if the site you want is at the DNS and for a test, why not eject YOUTUBE DOWNLOADERS, AVG and try some other security for a test?
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification

Im sorry, im not sure I quite understood what you just said, I don't have a lot of knowledge concerning computers so Silly, be a little more specific on what you want me to do

- Collapse -
My apologies.

Since there are customized DNS entries I must defer to those that setup your machine.

If I had you change it, it could break even worse.

My advice is now to ask those that set this up for you.
Bob

CNET Forums