Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

svchost creating problem

by eterrestrial / December 10, 2007 7:39 AM PST

the problem is that I keep my laptop up and running for around a day in a wireless environment. I repair the connection a couple of times in those 24 hours.
Now what happens is that after 24 hours, the svchost goes crazily high in memory usage ( I didnt check whether it was from networks services or system :/ ) and all of a sudden I get this RPC error which used to restart your pc in 1 minute. It does that and after that its fine till next 24 hours.
Its really annoying because I dont really shut down my laptop and it was working perfectly fine a while ago. I didnt install any software in the mean while and didnt even uninstall anything.
Help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: svchost creating problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: svchost creating problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is typical for 2 scenarios.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 7:55 AM PST

1. The owner is running some P2P app.
2. The laptop has one of the worms.

Tell a bit more.

Collapse -
no p2p thingies
by eterrestrial / December 10, 2007 8:04 AM PST

I just checked that its the "network service" and no I am not running any p2p thingies, as I said earlier, I did not install anything neither did I uninstall.

Collapse -
An old version of Zone Alarm does this too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: no p2p thingies

Your post is very light so I may have guess, guess and guess what it is. Could be a driver but tell a bit more.

As to you installing such we have too many softwares that autoupdate or change on their own. It's not you most of the time.

Bob

Collapse -
by eterrestrial / December 10, 2007 6:31 PM PST

well, I know how to work around my way in windows. I've been using it for around 8 years now, but this is weird. I havent got any programs which would auto update themselves. most of the rubbish services are shut down. I mean it has come up all of a sudden from no where and I cant figure out the reason.
Everything is under my control, and by that I mean the services/updates/etc etc. I usually never post anything on forums anywhere but I couldn't figure this one out so I had to. Its very annoying to get that 1 minute shutdown popup. I tried to remove it from the tool as well but it said everything was fine.
So its like, no rubbish services running, no p2p, no auto updates anywhere. Yet, the svchost usage goes up to 120+ and then comes the pop-up.

Collapse -
Which svchost?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: ...

There are usually more than one svchost running in an XP environment so you need to track down what is using this errant svchost so much, like a Process tracker. If you are running XP Pro you can find out more about what is using svchost by typing tasklist /svc at the command prompt, (note the space after tasklist).

I'm not clear on your usage of this laptop. None of my business of course, but you say it is on for 24 hours or so, then this problem occurs. It isn't clear whether you want it on longer continuously or whether it is intended to remain on for 24 hours only. Also, why is it on for so long? You don't use P2P, but the wireless connection remains on? Why?

Is this svchost, or scvhost? If the latter then you have the Backdoor.Sdbot.N virus, or one of the Gaobot viruses, or one of the many other viruses which drop scvhost.exe.

Or, is this svchost.exe located in C:\Windows\System32? If not, then you have a virus. It may be one of the following viruses : Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew, W32.HLLW.Deborms.C, W32.Mimail.J@mm, or the W32.Paylap.@mm virus which mimics a PayPal account renewal screen. Note that there are other viruses which also show as a program called svchost32.exe.

What do you use for anti-virus detection and as protection against hackers and spyware. What wireless protection do you use? I know little about wireless except that the commonly used protection is insufficient. If you are using WEP then your laptop is vulnerable. See this;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=235558&messageID=2413798#2413798

Mark

Collapse -
by eterrestrial / December 11, 2007 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Which svchost?

As I mentioned earlier, the process under network service user name. Its is XP Pro SP2. I checked /tasklist and nothing seems out of norm there either.
svchost.exe 1052 DcomLaunch, TermService
svchost.exe 1132 RpcSs
svchost.exe 1168 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem, FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc, HidServ, Irmon, lanmanserver,lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, Schedule,seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,ShellHWDetection, Themes, TrkWks, UxTuneUp,winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC

svchost.exe 1224 Dnscache

I use my machine to run something which is on my machine for a while for a project. It was working fine uptill now. It is on wireless because I would like to keep it that way. Otherwise I would be restricted to that specific room, while I need it at night when I get back home.

I use Mcafee Corporate and yes the wireless protection is WEP becuase others were giving problems in connections so I had to use this.

Damned problem is still there. I just dont want to get into a hassle of installing windows because its been more than 2 and half years that I did anything i.e. format/install/re-install on this system. Its been running like this since I bought it on day 1.

Collapse -
Was that a clue you just dropped?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 11:18 AM PST

There are wifi drivers that leak. I found a few by repeatedly opening and closing a connection as fast as it could go. Did you just reveal a change from wired to wifi?

That Distributed Link Tracking Client and the termservice are rarely used by anyone, maybe there are a few items you can do without?

Bob

Collapse -
wifi for 2 years+
by eterrestrial / December 12, 2007 7:45 AM PST

I've had this connection as wifi for last 2 years and this problem has just come up now and it only happens after 24 hours when I actually repair the connection because for some reason it feels like its dying and bang, that RPC 1 minute restart window popsup.
I still havent been able to figure out what could it be.

Collapse -
There are NEW WIFI exploits that I know of..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: wifi for 2 years+

That can crash "some" wifi drivers. I know some will exclaim "I didn't change anything" but those bad people have been hard at work.

-> So there we are. Since it doesn't work I see you have 2 choices.

1. Make changes.
2. Make no changes.

Bob

Collapse -
ummm
by eterrestrial / December 14, 2007 3:18 AM PST

I didnt get what you are saying here Bob. Please elaborate.

Collapse -
I see you have 2 choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2007 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: ummm

I see you have 2 choices.

1. Make changes.
2. Make no changes.

Bob

Collapse -
ok...!!
by eterrestrial / December 15, 2007 8:28 PM PST

Arrite, so make changes to what and make no changes to what? I'm sorry I'm lost Silly

But if you are referring to repair and not repairing the connection, then I have to do it because the connection dies after that time.

Do you think getting an external wifi card would be a solution to this ?

Collapse -
A few commands to help you sniff it out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 10:53 PM PST

Look at

TASKLIST

and (tada!)

TASKLIST /SVCHOST

There are also people who are control freaks that don't install SP1 or SP2 so who's to say where you are. Your posts have not been revealing any big clues so I'm going to write that it's not Windows at this point. It's your choice of setup or software.

Bob

Collapse -
As I noted....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2007 11:28 PM PST

"That Distributed Link Tracking Client and the termservice are rarely used by anyone, maybe there are a few items you can do without?"

The issue here is partly the owners that (rightly so) think that since they didn't change anything the issue is not with their install. The sad truth is that the others have been working hard and softwares such as antivirus, firewalls and such do issue updates that most of us will install. We also have CRUD that accumulates in temp files and more.

Let me pull off my gloves here for a second. I've walked with you trying to work this issue as gently as I can. For your part you have been resistant to make any changes so it's pretty much game over. It's up to you to think over if you think it's worth trying to get those extra services pulled out or not. If not, let me know so I'll unsubscribe, clean up the thread and see if others will add more.

Bob

Collapse -
Link about SERVICES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 1:33 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?