Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

suspicious thread "System" in task manager

by alvirani / October 20, 2006 4:53 PM PDT

i am very much consicious abt my pc resouces so i keep a eye where they are used and is it necessary to allot them as a countinous bk ground process..

but yesterday i went to my cousin's house there i found the P4comp is running slow and having probs in page opening inspite of 64kbps dedicated speed.. so i start my operation "save private ryan" during which i found that there is always some activity in my network [when i observe the network activity (bytes send and recd)]
she generally connect my broadband trough client side software. while i am not connected to internet.. some module constently sent request to network .. 3 -5 packets every second... and nothing recd. but when i connect to internet the amount of packets sent and recd increases to 15 - 20 packets sent and recd. i doubt some virus activity so i scanned found some virus and spyware and cleaned..but the prob still remains.. when i observed task manager i found some process called "system" was taking cpu times but the memory slot showed only 64k. i doubt of some suspicious activity.

config:
OS = winxp - sp2
Ad-ware prof - updated
norton 2004 - updated
system fully scanned
auto windows/norton update off - i prefer manual update

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: suspicious thread "System" in task manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: suspicious thread "System" in task manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"System" is a required process.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2006 12:17 AM PDT

However odd things like a corrupt image being used as a desktop picture can result in it or other process eating up a lot of time. Not a pest or virus but something about Windows that would be nice to have fixed.

For now I'd scan with EWIDO and HOUSECALL as a second opinion.

"i scanned found some virus and spyware and cleaned"

That's bad. Here's why. While we can clean out most pests we can't undo all the damage. If we don't find the damage (which is sometimes impossible) we have to reinstall the OS. Someday we hope for tools to do this without losing our files but today it's backup, install the OS and restore our files.

Bob

Collapse -
Cleaning malware
by Amos16 / October 21, 2006 12:42 AM PDT

Hi - did you undo Restore Points while you used you anti-syware tools? If not, the malware will remain in the backup and crop up again very soon. Always, or at least when you are suspicious, undo Restore, then activate it again after you are through with the cleaning. - Best of luck - Amos.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!