Question

suspicious files

My AV found 2 suspicious files in C:s\documents and settings\All users\Applications DAta\Temp\: ABADE5D8 (high risk ) and
DFC5A282 lower risk/
Both Alternate Data Stream?
I have tried to get rid of them until one user asked me to download a Rootkit program . My Firewall had a "very dangerous warning". The user of that forum who wanted me to download that anti malware program would not reply when i asked for his ID as ?are you part of the Administrator's team . Another Forum user replied and told me not to download . i am so confused . It hs been at least 2 weeks I am asked to download files and send them in Notepad . For some reasons maybe because of my age or my P.C's age i have problems decreasing size of windows , and/or have several windows open on the screen . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Choisienne

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: suspicious files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: suspicious files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: suspicious files

- What is your AV?
- You tried to get rid of them. What do you mean with "tried"? How did you try? What happened? Why didn't it succeed?
- Who or what is "one user"? What is "that forum"?
- What is a "rootkit program"? What program was it? What program was "that anti malware program"?
- Who or what asked you to download files and sent them in Notepad? How do you plan to send a file in Notepad?
- What exactly are "problems decreasing size of windows"? How do you do it? What happens?
- What is wrong with having several windows open?

Kees

- Collapse -
answers to clarifiction

My firewall suite is Online Armor . Their AV found the suspicious files. i was advised in their forum to download Go to Geek and OTL and followed their directions to post the resulting logs. The logs didn't show the suspicious files . I can't remember why and when i couldn't go any further . i switched to the Forum of SuperAntispyware . i can't remember if it was the former forum or SAS one user in the forum who suggested I downloaded High jack
I noticed the suspicious files in the logs . This is when another user asked me to download a"Rootkit" finder program and I received a message from On line Armor that it was "very dangerous" to download it.
I asked in the forum for the person who had suggested the download to clarify his ID as he had emailed me the instructions under a different email that I had given at registration to SAS .I never received a reply in the forum . Another reader of my post replied to not download the program .
I then went to MalwareBytes which had never found the suspicious files and someone from their tech. team again asked me to sen my MB logs in . , they always had been clean .after several emails, he suggested to download RSIT . i did some research (Googled it ) and people weren't so impressed. and gave pretty explicit reasons why . At this point i was tired of it . I have paid Online Armor , paid SAS, paid MB . when I was infected and using ZA suite , they would clean up any infection I may have had without my having to do anything else.

- Collapse -
Try...

You should post here in the spyware, security and virus forum and check the links to various pgms. that help.

- Collapse -
adding to reply

I couldn't write more in "reply " . I guess I had reached the maximum of words allowed.
As to moving windows . I use my mouse Left,Right vertical ,corners. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't .
I have problems attaching files to emails . Again ,sometimes it works ,sometimes it doesn't . Yes, I check the Help option . One sometimes needs a translation to understand the instructions. To give you an exemple I looked in this forum FAQ . I normally log in as ' limited user" as it give me another layer of security ". I cannot log in . I have to log in as Administrator. Thank You for replying.Chooisienne

- Collapse -
Tada

"Tada" brought back such great memories of the time when I was in school in London in the 50's .Not only you gave me some good suggestions, which I will follow but you really cheered me up.
yes, I deleted the files they keep on coming back . I even i delated them in the Registry but they cz\ame back with every scan . I am very cautious what I do in the Reg. Many Thanks. choisienne

CNET Forums