Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Suspicious e-mail and a MS Outlook 2000 problem

by RickWinger / February 23, 2005 11:19 PM PST

Yesterday (Wednesday, 2/23), something slipped through my ISP and into my Outlook inbox. It came in a group of e-mails from people I know. But at the suspicious item, there was no sender address, and the subject line was blank.

When this has happened before, and I have dealt with it by first reading the known-sender e-mails, carefully skipping over the suspect e-mail, doing Shift/Mouse-click and selecting the group, and finally doing Shift/Delete to permanently delete the group.

Only this time, (the mouse ball must be slightly dirty, because it stuck and) I accidentally highlighted the particular e-mail.

Seeing as it was Monday #3 of this week, lots of interesting expletive terms came to mind, and thankfully, nothing happened. So I proceeded to delete it by itself.

Then, over the next several hours, I began getting Outlook errors, with an error box popping up, and then a message being sent to Microsoft.

So, I ran Norton Anti-virus, and it did not find anything.

Then, I ran Spybot and Adware, and found nothing.

And finally, I've run the Outlook Detect and Repair utility several times, but I am still getting Outlook errors.

So far, my Internet access is working fine, and my home network is functioning properly. But my gut says there was something malicious in the suspect message. So I am now wondering, what exactly did I click on, and what am I to do about it?

Other possibly relevant system info is:
- Dell Dimension 4100
- XP Pro
- Norton Anti-virus 2000 (up to date subscription) and Norton IS 2003 (also current)
- MS Office 2000
- Comcast cable HPI service

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suspicious e-mail and a MS Outlook 2000 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suspicious e-mail and a MS Outlook 2000 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Rick
by roddy32 / February 23, 2005 11:24 PM PST
Collapse -
The latest
by RickWinger / February 24, 2005 6:37 AM PST

Roddy, thanks. I downloaded and install Trojan Hunter, and it found one. I'm not convinced that is the root of this problem.

Outlook is still acting up, and will shut down occasionally. All the updates and patches from Microsoft have been installed along the way.

After running the full gammut of clean up programs, I even went back, did a system restore to a date when I know Outlook was working, did the clean up again, and it is still acting up.

Other suggestions?

Thanks again,
Rick

After

Collapse -
It MAY not be
by roddy32 / February 24, 2005 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: The latest

a malware problem, although it sounds like it is Rick. I'm surprised that none of the other scans would pick anything up if it was though. I have used Outlook Express but never Outlook so I don't really know if that is prone to any other sort of problem like this or not. I have seen many people post with problems similiar in the Computer Help forum and possibly the Microsoft Office forum may be able to help. You could try cwshredder and also to a different virus scan for a second opinion.

cwshredder (stand alone unit)(another small scanner for certain things, ALL other windows should be closed)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Also do an online scan at one or all of these.
On the first one, make sure you checkmark the box that says "autoclean"

Housecall (using IE with Active-X)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Housecall (all browsers using java)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

PandaActivescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Collapse -
The latest, part 2
by RickWinger / February 28, 2005 8:45 PM PST

I am still having this issue -- that is, Outlook crashing, etc.

The system comes up clean anytime I run Adware, Spybot, or NAV.

The Trojan Hunter software seems to have deposited 12 adware cookies on the system, because each time I ran it, I found nothing. But when I ran Adware after Trojan Hunter, I always found the 12 cookies ... again. So I uninstalled Trojan Hunter.

Other ideas? I would like to avoid having to reformat the HD unless absolutely necessary.

Collapse -
Hi Rick
by roddy32 / February 28, 2005 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: The latest, part 2

Did you try the online scans and cwshredder that I suggested? Like I said in my last post, this MAY not be a Malware problem, you may just have a problem with Outlook itself, I've seen posts in the Computer help forums about others having problems with Outlook sometimes. I do not use Outlook myself so I don't know for sure but it might be fixable. Try the other scanners that I suggested and if they find nothing, post your question in one of the Computer help forums and maybe someone else that is more familiar with Outlook can help you.

Collapse -
Thanks
by RickWinger / February 28, 2005 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Rick

Roddy, thanks. I must confess to having a love/hate relationship with Microsoft products -- especially Outlook.

I did download and run Cleaner, and it did not find anything in the system. Also, I'll try another venue for the question.

Regards,
Rick

Collapse -
You're welcome Rick and
by roddy32 / February 28, 2005 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Maybe the Microsoft Office Forum or the Computer Help forum can help with it. Both of the links are on the left side of the page. I THINK there is a way to repair Outlook but I'm not positive. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.