Information About My Computer:
HP Pavilion 533w
Windows XP Home Edition
60 GB hard drive
2 GB Intel Celeron CPU
Uncertain about Motherboard
256 MB RAM
Software-based Nvidia Video Card

My computer will soon be 4 and 1/2 years old and it has never had a single problem during this time. I have periodically removed any dust that has accumulated inside and the only thing that I have had to do is the occasional OS reinstall.

Last week, my computer started doing something unusual that it has never done before. I would be doing something or the computer would be in sleep mode and the computer would just turn/shut off without any warning. It was the same as if you had literally reached over, held the power button in, and turned the computer off that way.

Each time this happened, the power light on the back of the computer would remain on, but pushing the power button to restart the computer did nothing. The only way to restart the computer was to disconnect all electrical power, then reconnect the power and the computer would restart.

The first few times this happened, I was not certain what the problem was since it was so random. Within a couple of days the computer was doing it more and more. I started running diagnostic programs and the check disk features on the computer. The diagnostic programs were able to run long enough to show that the CPU and hard drive were fine. I scheduled the check disk feature for the next start up but the computer was not able to run long enough to finish before shutting off. Each time the computer has been able to only stay on for shorter and shorter amounts of time before shutting off.

Through all of this, the OS has appeared to be working absolutely fine without any problems or crashes.

At this point, I have the computer completely unhooked as a precaution that further attempts may cause damage to the internal components. Does anyone have any suggestions for what the problem might be?

I really want to get my computer fixed and not have to give up on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suspected Hardware Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suspected Hardware Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"the computer would just turn/shut off without any warning."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

How long has it been since you dusted out the internals and checked the fans?

Bob

Collapse -
Possibly the 4 1/2 year old power Supply
by retired / March 14, 2007 4:50 AM PDT

Is starting to die.

Collapse -
Power Supply
by AsianPrincess2586 / March 14, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

With the loss of power, I was wondering if that might be the problem but I have little experience with the hardware side of computers...

Collapse -
Dusting Out Internals

It has been around 5 weeks ago since I cleaned the dust out and as far as I know the fans are still working without problem...

Collapse -
To sniff it out (heat issues)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Dusting Out Internals

Try leaving the cover off the case.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.