Linux forum

General discussion

SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement

by JJ / October 31, 2003 10:18 PM PST

I have just setup my computer for dual boot, Windows XP on the primary drive and SuSE 9.0 LINUX personal on the slave drive. The problem I have is that I can not run 800x600 32 bit res. in LINUX but in Windows I have no problem. The only setting it will run is 1280x1024 16 bit and at that setting I will go blind trying to read the menus and the header because they are very small. There is a setting for the tex size in the window but not for the menus and headers. When I tried to set it to 1280x1024 24 bit my display will show nothing and now I have no way to set it back. It looks like it is time to reformat again. I have a Proview LCD 17" display and an ATI Readon VE video card. If LINUX wants to compete with Windows it has a long way to go. It has improved from when I tried Corel LINUX 3 years ago. Hopefully one day LINUX will be more user friendly in the future.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 11:11 PM PST

"The problem I have is that I can not run 800x600 32 bit res. in LINUX but in Windows I have no problem."

I've found that by changing video cards I've sidestepped such issues with ease. In fact, while one can play with the config files and more, I have been taking the cowards way out and just changing to a card that works.

"Hopefully one day LINUX will be more user friendly in the future."

Given you only had this one issue and my admittedly coward's solution works, I can state that Linux has become a lot more friendly.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
by JJ / November 2, 2003 11:01 AM PST

"Given you only had this one issue and my admittedly coward's solution works, I can state that Linux has become a lot more friendly."
This is true but it still has a long way to go. I used to have Corel Linux.

Collapse -
Long way to go? You noted one and only one issue. Seems 'there'.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2003 8:03 PM PST

If this is the only problem then this distro is getting pretty close.

Just so you know, there is support at SuSE which they could talk you through how to use which config tool or what file to edit.

It's just one file to edit to add more video settings so in the ways of Linux, very easy.

Bob

Collapse -
by Art / November 1, 2003 12:56 AM PST

I am interested in what SUSE has to say about this. It seems weird that it work at very high resolution but not lower.

Collapse -
by chuckieu / November 2, 2003 12:52 AM PST

I find that curious also. In RH9, I had trouble getting a
higher resolution until I entered the horizontal and vertical resolution ranges(my monitor wasn't on the list) at the setup stage. Never had problems going lower. Since
it's not crt, I would guess native resolution, but not that high. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
by JJ / November 2, 2003 11:07 AM PST

Do you have a LCD or a CTR monitor? I am thinking this is only a problem on LCDs.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
by chuckieu / November 3, 2003 2:17 AM PST

Since I'm a photographer, I have a CRT monitor. You said
you have a LCD monitor, that's why I made the statement about Native resolution. Many TFT and LCD work best at
only one(native) resolution. The res you mentioned seems
too high to be a default -native- resolution though. Also
the fact that you can't change it. chuck

Collapse -
by JJ / November 2, 2003 11:03 AM PST

Do you have a LCD or a CTR monitor?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:SuSE LINUX 9.0 needs alot of improvement
by Art / November 2, 2003 2:47 PM PST

No, I don't; and I wishe that I have one, hehe. Anyway glad to learn something today.

Collapse -
by bestman330 / April 28, 2004 3:22 PM PDT

Hey I am an advanced windows user & I have set up a dual boot of Win XP & Suse Linux & it is hard to use somethings in suse, but that should be expected considered that it is new to us beginners, but we must give it a chance because after all Linux did not install it self on are Linux beginners hard drives, we installed it, so just keep trying because it is alot better then windows & Linux to me gives me more options to pick from and expecially from a security aspect. It will take sometime for me to get to know my Suse Linux, but it is well worth the try considering the upcoming Windows Longhorn( which stands for the BIG BROTHER TAKING OUR RIGHTS AWAY OPERATING SYSTEM ). I for one will not be using windows next distro because it will just be a giant spy, not letting us do anything we want to do with our own computers that we paid for. I am so sick of our Government & Microsoft trying to control how we use our computers because as far as I am concerned, I am going to do eactly what I feel like doing on my pc, so Big Brother & Microjunk ( GET A LIFE ) and I do like both, but the future Longhorn will turn alot of windows users into Linux users, because it has already got me started for the switch to linux & I am enjoying the anventure. I know I talk alot, but all I am saying is give Suse Linux a try because I did & I am beginning to love it. Good Luck to you & me!

Collapse -
by osensei / October 31, 2004 10:05 PM PST

As far as I'm concerned the NIX flavored operating systems are best used in the capacity of a server of some sort. Don't be expectin people to give up thier MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint for Star Office anytime soon.

However, for users like myself who want to run a variety of servers over the internet without havin to pay for hosting, Linux is great. And the security options are wonderful. So if you mean business as far as running servers go, then Linux is for you.

Otherwise, keep playin your Counter-Strike and Halo on Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.