The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

survey says Mac users are snobbish, PC users are cheap...

by shawnlin / February 17, 2008 11:34 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: survey says Mac users are snobbish, PC users are cheap...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: survey says Mac users are snobbish, PC users are cheap...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
of course
by mementh / February 18, 2008 6:18 AM PST

I am looking @ buying a computer from a computer renecance in a few weeks and i plan on making it cheap but powerfull

why waste money on things i don't need?

Collapse -
It's just demographics. Its not really surprising.
by minimalist / February 18, 2008 8:33 AM PST

Sort of like saying Volvos are bought by socially liberal, college educated, upper middle class professionals. Or that middle aged men with something to prove often buy Porches.

Collapse -
Rip you a new one
by surfpark / February 18, 2008 10:35 AM PST

NEWS JUST IN:

People that read The Street are willing to believe anything. People that read Cnet are more likely to breathe air and drink water. People that sleep at night are more likely not to be tired!

Damn, I can't believe they're still doing these reports. Anyone who has worked with statistics knows that you can make numbers say anything you'd like. The idea of being a "snob" is all relative. I'm sure someone without any computer would think a Windows user might have an air of snobbery too. These differences seem to be bigger when comparing social and economic status rather than by which computer a person uses. I have both a Mac and PC, so accoring to The Street and their fu-fu data, I should be hating myself right now.

What I hate about videos like this is that they don't support their argument with real data. Where are the numbers? Who did this study? No footnotes! No links! This is what I call crappy reporting. I'm sure Molly will back me up on this.

One final aside: Who produces crap like this?! The granola-chewing guitar ditty and the awkward speech rhythm is annoying. I could picture this narrator reading the whole script verbatim. After watching a few of The Street's videos, I can tell they let every content writer a camera without much editorial filtering.

Collapse -
:) great post!
by shawnlin / February 18, 2008 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: Rip you a new one

yeah, I think I got more entertainment than education from the video...

Collapse -
Pointless and Irrelevant
by warrenrichards10 / February 19, 2008 3:36 PM PST
In reply to: Rip you a new one

A survey today is a pointless exercise in mindless advertising, ( it?s not so much what the survey targets but who ?commissioned? the survey, yes Microsoft I?m looking at you) as an individual on the lower rungs of society, ( so to speak ) , I find Mac users pretty much as standard as PC users, some good ones and some bad, it?s a pretty bland and pointless topic but it gives the firms employing these people something to distract them from bothering the rest of us. By the way 50% of all people who use the toilet sit,,,,,,,

Collapse -
I'd not call it snobby
by Renegade Knight / February 18, 2008 10:50 AM PST

But Mac Users have a much higher fanatical fan boy ratio than PC's. Most of them folks are happy if they can check their email without help.

Collapse -
BWHAW HAW HAW.... :D Ain't that the truth...
by b8375629 / February 24, 2008 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: I'd not call it snobby
Happy
Collapse -
I'm cheap. I'm not snobby. I'm a Mac user.
by thriftyT / February 18, 2008 12:25 PM PST

Just sayin' =)

Collapse -
Remember
by surfpark / February 18, 2008 1:50 PM PST

Snobbery is a cross-platform application.

Collapse -
I am
by metanoya / February 18, 2008 11:49 PM PST

also very cheap, I'm not snobby and I adore my Mac. I also am too younge to drive a hybrid or a station wagon. Station wagon?

Candice

Collapse -
Stationwagon
by Renegade Knight / February 20, 2008 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: I am

The new term for Stationwagon is Crossover. Shhhhh!

Except for Subaru who never quit making Stationwagons.

Collapse -
no offense, but
by w00fd06 / February 24, 2008 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: I am

no offense to you personally, but is someone's who's snobby actually going to know/admit it themselves?

Collapse -
that is
by metanoya / February 27, 2008 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: no offense, but

true... good point, but we can probably find out if we are snobby with our Macs! =)

Candice

Collapse -
Snob is the wrong word.
by fbbbb / February 18, 2008 5:20 PM PST

Superficial is more accurate.

Collapse -
Ohh yes
by Nicholas Buenk / February 18, 2008 5:31 PM PST

Because a unix with a solid GUI offers nothing for the geek....

Collapse -
GUI?
by mementh / February 19, 2008 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Ohh yes

*BEGIN RANT*There is no good GUI/filesystem that a WINDOWS user like ME could understand....

Unix was designed for Servers, which has alot of options.
Linux and other systems (not including mac here since i have not used it) all have "strange" filesystems which i can't put 1=1 to a DOS/WINDOWS based drive structure. (and i don't want to learn a "NEW" one)

Also the GUI has ALOT of options.. maybe TOO MUCH and it has scared me away.

I tried ONCE to setup a simple webserver with some PHP, I had to read through so much documentation and I got it wrong easily.

I remember on the windows side i just had to edit a SINGLE file and point it to C:\Website\.
With the Linux system, I COULD NOT find the dir that it was using then..

So i gave up on it..

So for the GEEK/DO IT YOURSELF which is linux... please don't push your os on me untill a Windows power user can feel they don't have to go back to school.
*END RANT*

Collapse -
Heh
by Nicholas Buenk / February 19, 2008 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: GUI?

I have KDE running on leopard in x11 under aqua.
Why? Because it's fun to see if it works.
OS X gives you the full geekiness of linux, and greater ease of use than windows.
That's real substance. Wink

Collapse -
OS X != Linux != Windows
by geefour / February 22, 2008 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Heh

OS X keeps you locked out of the internal components so that you don't mess it up - this would mean that it is more likely the social elite boast about having them. It is probably just as easy to do things on a OS X to a Windows.

Linux requires you log in securely and still asks questions before you "break" your linux installation.

Windows installs, by default, as an administrator - this allows you to format harddisks, use disk partitioning software, change vital settings when you don't have a clue about what your doing.

Collapse -
Hmm?
by Nicholas Buenk / February 23, 2008 5:46 AM PST

What do you mean by that, locked out of internal system components?
That's not really true, it's a full unix. Root can do just about anything.

Collapse -
Like Tom said...
by n74jw / February 19, 2008 8:51 AM PST

It is a poor idea to generalize. Tom did not exactly say that, but I think that was the point he was trying to make.

I real funny point is that most Mac-Addicts who vehemently hate PCs have never ever used Windows. Also, much to their chagrin, the pricey Mac is now a PC and has been since 2005.

I use a Mac, specifically for OS X (Tiger). Windows XP and other related issues drove me to the Mac. I also use Linux for many other tasks. Windows, however, pays the bills for now...

Collapse -
but wait...
by Dawgfanclark / February 19, 2008 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Like Tom said...

I LOVE bottled water and especially the non-recycled type.
I drive an SUV and buy premium gas.
I sometimes pay for my music.
I am business, not artsy.
I like them and am actually licensed to carry guns concealed.
I ride around the puddles when I MTB.
I admit I do say Bless You if someone sneezes.
I only let you in line in Atlanta traffic if your tag is from another state (cause you KNOW!!)

Luckily, I like people and I am friendly and I LOVE MY APPLE products!!

Collapse -
LOI...
by n74jw / February 19, 2008 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: but wait...

LOI

I like water, doesn't matter where it comes from (tap or bottled).
I drive a truck and buy the cheap stuff.
I do pay for my music now, but did not always.
I am blue-collar, and would probably be artsy if I had talent.
I own a fire-arm for home protection.
If it is in the road, chances are I'll run over it.
I drive through puddles, if they are 14" in depth or shallower.
As an atheist, I cannot honestly say 'Bless You' to anyone.
I tend to let people in, if I like their car.

I am indifferent towards others, and LOVE my Apple products...

Collapse -
Hmmm..
by Nicholas Buenk / February 20, 2008 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: but wait...

I don't like water much at all it's bland as hell, I will drink coke or coffee like a good geek
I don't drive, public transport
I sometimes pay for music
I am some what artsy, at least about music, well I'd more call myself a connoisseur
I don't like guns and would prefer people around me not have them
I don't have a bike, transportation vehicle that's human powered???? What is this, 1508? Maybe I'd buy a segway if I had a few thousand not doing anything....
I am an atheist and would prefer people stick to blessing themselves
Let people in what?

I am shy but tend to be ok with people. And I LOVE OS X.

Collapse -
Never ever used Windows???
by onemoremile / February 23, 2008 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Like Tom said...

n74jw wrote: <i>I real funny point is that most Mac-Addicts who vehemently hate PCs have never ever used Windows. </I>

Where does that information come from? Apple's entire marketing program is based on converting Windows users. First, Apple gives them iTunes for free, then sells them iPods and finally, after these users have been suitably impressed by Apple software and hardware, Macs. That is how it worked for me; I got tired of spending all of my time doing technical support for my family Windows computers and network. Meanwhile, iTunes and my iPod just worked. Out of frustration, I bought a Mac. After playing with my PowerBook, my son, my daughter and my wife all bought Macs.

Three of the four of us still are forced to use Windows at work every day. I believe that the typical Mac user has not only used Windows, he or she has used it recently. This is what makes us like Macintosh more and more!

Collapse -
The real deal is MAC user are nearly extinct
by Dango517 / February 19, 2008 3:54 PM PST
Collapse -
5 Pairs of Sneakers? Per Year?
by PressAnyKey / February 20, 2008 4:07 AM PST

What's up with all the sneaker buying? I have a pair of running shoes I replace often but most of my other sneakers last quite a bit longer. Does the Mac offer some kind of footware discount?

Collapse -
The Nike Air iPod accessory
by n74jw / February 20, 2008 4:38 AM PST

Keeps 'em running...

Collapse -
Yeah right!
by DaveBinM / February 20, 2008 8:03 AM PST

Hmmm... let's see,

I'm a Uni student
I buy 1 pair of sneakers about every 2 years (aside from soccer boots, I get one pair every 4 years)
I'm maybe a tad arrogant, but I've always been like that
I don't use teeth whitening products, aside from toothpaste
I don't care about organic food
I hate Starbucks
I drive a '97 Toyota Corolla (which is neither a station wagon nor a hybrid)
I'm lazy, and do the minimum possible
I own most of my music on CD, and I rarely download music, though I do usually pay for it, if I can find it on iTunes
I do have a laptop... for University...
I will not pimp my Corolla, it would look stupid...
I don't care all that much about Green stuff, I buy what I can afford that does the job
I am fairly satisfied with my computer, aside from iWeb '08's lack of nice-ness for third party hosting

I have a MacBook, and an iPod, and I love them. I also loved my old Dell Happy

These surveys are crap.

Collapse -
Runners
by warrenrichards10 / February 20, 2008 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah right!

I'm a Cook; I earn a basic wage,
I drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla that has 4 doors painted 4 colours,
I may or may not pay for my music; it depends on the artist,
I own (in order). One PC, one Vostro 1400 laptop, and one second gen ipod,
I have no great problem with the way itunes runs (or with Apple),
I have problems with the way Vista runs, (for now),
I admit to still liking Brittany Spears, (sad),
I ignore most ?surveys? as rigged corporate propaganda,
I buy one pair Mizumo Runners ever 2 years, (seem to out last Nike?s),
I find ?Demographics? equals ?guess work?,
And I hate the Wiggles, (it?s an Aussie thing),
The end result, doesn?t take surveys seriously, and buy Mizumo runners for durability sakes.

Collapse -
Survey says...
by merrybrown / February 23, 2008 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah right!

I drink water either bottled or unbottled, when I am thirsty I don't care.
I usually go through about 2 pairs of sneakers a year
I am a professional white collar type
I have enough to pay the bills
I usually pay for music
I have been to Starbucks, usually to buy coffee I can make on my own
I don't currently own any firearms...
I drive a 10 yr old BMW -hoping to drive it another 5 yrs
I have used tooth whitening products
I love my iPods, and my 3 PC's, 2 are laptops.
I Have considered Apples from time to time, but figure it would be aggravating to switch all my little aps and widgets.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!