TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Surround Speaker System

by SamuelS / August 19, 2008 1:56 PM PDT

Hello all, I have a Panasonic THP42 Plasma set. I Am now wanting to complete it with surround and blu ray player etc.. any suggestions for a good to near perfect system to include a connection for a set of wireless speakers in another room? I will need a receiver and was thinking of one of the Denon's. The set up is in my basement.

Thanks and let me know what I may have forgotten?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surround Speaker System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surround Speaker System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
system
by jasondtx / August 20, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

I would steer away from wireless speakers at this point in time. I haven't come across a "good" set of them. You still need to plug them in for power which most people don't realize. You could probably find a local custom installer to run wires to your other room. Yes Denon makes great receivers and they have new models that are out now ending in 09 in the model number. It all depends on your budget, size of room, performance level of system that you would like, etc. You can't go wrong with B&W speakers. They are the best in any price range in my opinion. You'll hear many different opinions regarding sound and picture, some of them are subject to personal taste, some are not. What I mean is there is a correct way to calibrate a tv for example. There are specific standards for color, sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc that should be adhered to because that is how the broadcast house or studio has their equipment set and if yours is set the same you will have the same result. For audio there are certain criteria that should also be followed, but one speaker may sound better to you than another. A good lesson I learned is if you use a speaker like B&W for example that is used a lot in recording studios you are getting very close to the exact sound that the creator of the media wants you to hear. Hope this helps

Collapse -
I concur about wireless speakers. A great idea for
by NM_Bill / August 20, 2008 3:03 AM PDT

convenience, but they suffer from dropouts & we haven't heard of any fine performing wireless speakers for music. For your computer, sure.

I use Denon & am very satisfied with their crystal clear sound & solid reliability. That's not to say there are lots of good receivers out there.

Us old audiophiles here always advise perhaps minimizing the allure of a fancy receiver in order to maximize the speaker budget because that's where pretty much all the sound difference is.

Incidentally, I have a $4000 pair of B&W speakers that are my final & ultimate goal. B&W makes a lot of less expensive models that are worth listening to.

We don't yet have what your total realistic budget can be.

A fine article was in the Feb 2008 free online mag, Playback. Check out their survey of speakers under $1000. http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200802/?u1=texterity

Feed us some more specifics so our advice can focus in on your wants & needs.

Collapse -
... One additional question here...
by SamuelS / August 22, 2008 11:07 PM PDT

Which BluRay player does anyone recommend I consider? Which one, if any, are you using and your thoughts on performance etc.

Any other thing I have forgotten to consider as part of my quest to make this a good system?

Thank you again.

Bo1953

Collapse -
depends on a lot of things
by jostenmeat / August 23, 2008 4:30 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!