TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Surround Sound Help Please.

by bmurf5 / January 31, 2009 4:13 PM PST

I'm not sure about the model but i know that my sub and my two front speakers are bose. Those front two are hook directly into the back of my Sony strdg720 A/V receiver (7.1 compatible but i only want 5.1). The back two speakers are not bose but they are hooked up to the sub which then is hooked up to the receiver. When i did the calibration for the speakers all of the speakers seemed to work fine. So now i hooked up my Samsung bluray player to my samsung 6series 650 52" lcd via hdmi. I have the tv hooked up to the A/V receiver via optical audio cord. When i use the blu ray players audio configuration for a speaker test all of the sound that should come from the back speakers comes out of the center one (forgot to mention that the center one isn't bose either.) In fact I'm pretty sure that i haven't heard from the back speakers since i did the speaker calibration. Is my sub (i dont hear that much bass from it at all, close to none if any) busted(therefore inhibiting sound from the back speakers)? Should i try hooking them up directly to the back of the A/V receiver?
(Tv had four hdmi inputs not sure about outputs but it does have some analog audio outs and an optical audio out: the song A/V receiver has three hdmi in and one out and two optical ins and one coaxial in and several analog audio ins: blu ray player has an hdmi out and an optical out and other plugs for 7.1 that i dont think i need.) Any ideas? if you need any other info let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surround Sound Help Please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surround Sound Help Please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Back speakers hooked up from the sub? Strange.
by NM_Bill / January 31, 2009 11:16 PM PST

Frankly, I don't understand. Most sub woofers are self powered, meaning they have an internal amplifier that produces the substantial power for the sub itself. I've never heard the sub extending to power other speakers. The exception is a passive sub that is powered from the amp or receiver & it separates the bass to run through itself & the balance of the audio info is relayed to front L&Rs.

Your 7 channel Sony receiver has connectors on the back for running speaker cable to all the speakers. All from the receiver to the speakers. Not daisy chaining some speakers from one of the other speakers.

I guess I'm telling you to slack back 10 yards & punt. Well, reverting to fundamentals. Reread your Sony operators manual. Find the appropriate sketch & instructions for running those channels to the speakers via speaker wire. I spent many years just using zip cord, which is the stuff that composes extention cords. To feel better about the situation, an easy solution is to buy a roll of the reasonably priced speaker cable that Home Depot sells.

Collapse -
the sub
by bmurf5 / February 1, 2009 3:31 AM PST

Well the sub has two input slot for speakers and two output slots for the speakers that are in it's two inputs. So i have the back ones in the inputs on the sub and the subs output plugged into the A/V receiver. It's a bose sub, probably 15 years old.

Collapse -
Okay, it's a Bose thing. They have a lot of proprietary
by NM_Bill / February 1, 2009 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: the sub

things that are not easily compatible with others.

Collapse -
OK, so the sub is working.
by bmurf5 / February 6, 2009 8:19 AM PST

Ok just got the sub tested at a local shop it's working but what it does is it's playing the deep sounds of the front two speakers that it's connected to. So basically i have front speakers connected to sub then from sub to front speaker input on the A/V receiver. So the receiver doesn't recognize the sub because it's hooked through those front speakers. Back speakers, center, and front all have perfect sound, but the sub plays whatever sound the front two speakers are playing (which means no BOOM). OK... any ideas on how to get my receiver to recognize the sub? (subs only inputs and outputs are the front speaker connection i typed up above.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.