TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Surround Sound Headphones (recommendations + how they work)

by Mike5012 / November 5, 2007 1:57 PM PST
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-headsets/pioneer-se-dir800c/4505-6468_7-31225550.html?tag=pdtl-list

1) I'm looking for some surround sound headphones for my apartment, and am currently favoring the Pioneer SE-DIR800C (link above). While wireless isn't the biggest "deal" for me, it'll be pretty convenient to have wireless headphones. That being said, if there are any wired surround sound headphones that anyone can recommend, I'll like to take a look at those too. I have a cheesy "PC" external surround sound system hooked up to my tv (so, no receiver of any kind), but headphones are much more convenient for me because I'm usually up late playing games/listening to music and all that.

2) I was wondering how exactly "dolby headphone" works. I understand WHAT it does, but from what I read, dolby headphone can work with any old headphone as long as it's plugged into a receiver that supported the process. So why are there specifically marketed "surround sound headphones" then? When looking at that link I posted above, the Pioneer's have that base station thing on the left of the picture. Does that act as some sort of "dolby headphone receiver" or something for these headphones specifically?

3) Just wondering if anyone had any sort of links or other resources that delve into how surround sound headphones work, while using a bunch of "technical terminology". I would like to write about these types of headphones for a class I'm taking.

Thanks in advance.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surround Sound Headphones (recommendations + how they work)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surround Sound Headphones (recommendations + how they work)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It may not be what you think. Have you read this?
by ahtoi / November 5, 2007 11:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Great links
by ..ben / November 6, 2007 4:01 AM PST

That Smyth stuff looks pretty awesome! Way cool.

Collapse -
I bought a headset with 5.1 surround sound
by Rollbar / November 6, 2007 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Great links
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4191171

For gaming mostly since I was having trouble telling when someone was approaching me from the rear. (Should I actually admit I play games on line?)

Anyway.... at a list of $150 I thought this Turtle Beach set would do but I'm unimpressed. Still can't distinguish when the sound is coming from the front or the rear. Left or right is easy.

Gary
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?