TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

surround 5.1 system

I recently purchase a Samsung PN50A450 HDTV, a Pansasonic DMP-BD35 BLU-RAY player and the Sony STR-DG820 A/V receiver. I would appreciate any feedback as to what a suggested good 5.1 surround would compliment my recent purchases. Thx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: surround 5.1 system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: surround 5.1 system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) budget?????????

In reply to: surround 5.1 system

Collapse -
5.1 budget

In reply to: budget?????????

no more than 500.00.

Collapse -
Small budget, so look online at JR.COM at their

In reply to: 5.1 budget

HTIBs. Usually, Onkyo is considered to have the best HTIB for the buck.

Collapse -
orbs

In reply to: Small budget, so look online at JR.COM at their

Whats the feeling on Orb's 5.1's?

Collapse -
klipsch quintet iii - model # QUINTET III = $500.00

In reply to: orbs

You'll have to buy a sub though.
I hear the $100. sony sub model
# SAW2500 is decent until you can
afford a better 1.

Collapse -
Onkyo

In reply to: Small budget, so look online at JR.COM at their

I'd either go with an Onkyo system in your budget or an Infinity HTIB set. I was pretty happy with my Infinity HTIB set before I upgraded.

Collapse -
i agree on Onkyo

In reply to: 5.1 budget

They have the best sounding budget 5.1 system but you got to get the receiver but they have deals with reciever included.Their recievers are pretty good too.

I can't tell you which one becuase my audio systems are mixed and is older.

Go to Amazon and look at Onkyo sets they have and read the reviews.

Collapse -
Onkyo's

In reply to: i agree on Onkyo

I already have purchased a Sony STR-DG820:looking to add just a surround system, speakers and sub only.

Collapse -
Onkyo surround system

In reply to: Onkyo's

Take a look at the Onkyo SKS-HT540. It is actually a 7.1 system, but for the price you can't go wrong. They have been reviewed on CNet and other sites and I bought them and am thrilled! As CNet's review states, and I have done... "If you don't want or need to run all four surround speakers, go ahead and stick with standard 5.1 channel surround; you can hook up the extra two speakers to your receiver's B speaker outputs and put them in another room."

Currently they are selling anywhere $200-$400 depending on where you buy.

Collapse -
surround sound systems for all budgets

In reply to: Onkyo surround system

Check out http://www.alltecstores.com they have LTB(listen to believe) and Hamilton Electronics lines which are all quality without having to pay top dollar for name brand like Bose. LTB are the same people who make the highly popular Q Bean. I strongly suggest you check this site out

Collapse -
Why would anyone choose this over Onkyo?

In reply to: surround sound systems for all budgets

Onkyo has such a good track record it makes no sense to use a 'bargain brand' like this one.

my $.02
Pedro

Collapse -
"bargain brand"

In reply to: Why would anyone choose this over Onkyo?

Pedro do you work for Onkyo? =) I think it is always a wise and smart consumer conception to shop around and find the best merchandise at the best value. "Bargain brands" are for merchandise manufactured poorly. I am saying it is worth checking out merchandise that has been manufactured for years and buy direct than going through resellers-

Collapse -
cancel

In reply to: "bargain brand"

please cancel my post...I have made a purchase...Thx all

Collapse -
Nope

In reply to: "bargain brand"

I do not work for Onkyo. I do however recognize the value of going with a very reasonably priced HT equipment manufacturer with a great track record and strong value when you look at the features. How about making a one to one comparison with some specific product on the reseller site you gave? You would be hard pressed to find anything there that would provide the same value as some of the Onkyo receivers/HT combos which have been mentioned in this thread (and others).

-Pedro

Collapse -
Message from MadMex66

In reply to: surround 5.1 system

He has made his purchase, so he no longer needs any other recommendations.

Thanks for all your help.

As the OP no longer needs help, I will lock this discussion.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!