Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Surprised at the absence of gloating posts over the latest

by Ziks511 / May 5, 2006 12:28 PM PDT

Kennedy scandal. I figured there'd be a million posts by now.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surprised at the absence of gloating posts over the latest
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surprised at the absence of gloating posts over the latest
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe we're not like you?
by EdH / May 5, 2006 12:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
Perhaps,
by duckman / May 5, 2006 12:39 PM PDT

We feel compassion for the poor ******* and wish him well in his treatment

Collapse -
why gloat over what was eveident
by Mark5019 / May 5, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

there a sick famially

Collapse -
There's no reason to gloat
by Evie / May 5, 2006 12:40 PM PDT

There IS reason for concern about the special treatment he has received. Where's YOUR outrage on that aspect? How about condemnation for his admitted addiction to painkillers, when, as yet, he hasn't given a reason to have been taking them in the first place?

Yeah, the vitriol aimed at Rush is decidedly absent from your corner when it concerns a liberal.

Collapse -
The difference is ther absence of hypocrisy, Evie.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 5, 2006 1:50 PM PDT

He hasn't been on a "get tough on drug traffickers (except, of course for me!)" crusade for over a decade the way Rush has. Sadly, that branch of the Kennedy family is a testament to the genetic component to addiction.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
What a joke
by Evie / May 5, 2006 2:36 PM PDT

Absence of hypocrisy?

The notion of Rush crucasing for a decade is laughable. The most his "compassionate" critics could come up with were a handful of comments made more than a decade ago.

ROFLMAO!

This branch of the Kennedy family is testament to something. Genetics? More like what happens when politically aspiring men of privilege are given a pass on REAL law breaking (Patrick is just lucky he didn't kill a cop -- narrowly missed colliding with a cruiser -- or the occupant of the RI car.

Collapse -
No evidence has been put forward to support your assertion.
by Kiddpeat / May 5, 2006 2:50 PM PDT

Perhaps you would like to supply the source of your information regarding what Russ has been doing 'for over a decade'?

Collapse -
No need for evidence when all you want is a
by duckman / May 5, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

drive by slam at someone

Collapse -
I'll repeat a post I made in another thread...
by dirtyrich / May 6, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

My parents like to cook. I like to cook. Therefore, there must be a cooking gene. Right?

While there might be some genes making a person more reactive to chemical stimuli, the effect would be negligible compared to the influence of growing up in a house with alcoholic parents. While there are a few traits decided by genetic influence (hair, eye color), the overwhelming majority of others depend on necessary interaction from the environment. In the case of behaviors, the effect of genetic influence drops even more.

Collapse -
If the component is genetic, then
by Cindi Haynes / May 6, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

What about the other branches of the Kennedy family?

It IS, or it ISN'T. You can't pick one part of the genetic tree as your proof and ignore the others.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And why would you think it were a scandal?
by duckman / May 5, 2006 1:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
We don't gloat
by dirtyrich / May 5, 2006 1:03 PM PDT

We criticize behavior and actions that we feel are contrary to public good. I take no joy in my critical posts...

Collapse -
Honestly so am I
by null. / May 5, 2006 4:47 PM PDT

I sure would have liked Rush to wait about a week to make his deal. He might have not had to pay any money or make any pleas to the charge. That is in light of recent events.

Don Erickson
Mr. California Republican

Collapse -
That discussion is here, Rob !
Collapse -
Would you consider those posts gloating?
by EdH / May 5, 2006 10:56 PM PDT

I wouldn't, particularly in contrast with the posts about Rush Limbaugh, some of which actually contained fabricated quotes to impugn him.

Collapse -
No.
by Angeline Booher / May 6, 2006 12:14 AM PDT

Just a bit of ''sins of the fathers''visited on him comments, a bit of based on political views, and referernces to another celebrity.

But I saw no signs of gloating and being so happy that a Democrat was involed.

If I were to be ever in the same situation, I wouldn't have to face the major news cameras. Celebrity, not only carries with it fame, or fortune, or power, but it also puts whomever in the public eye. At times, that is good. At other times, it is not good for whomever. It goes with the territory.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Why doesn't he have a driver?
by Evie / May 6, 2006 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

I think some people resign themselves to not being able to save themselves from themselves (did that make sense?). If that's the case, and he certainly has money, he needs to hire some "handlers" to sweat the little things for him.

If you weren't a celebrity, you would have spent the night in jail too.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Saw an answer on another site...
by EdH / May 6, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

tongue in cheek. No driver means no witnesses.

Collapse -
In order to accept the idea....
by Josh K / May 8, 2006 1:21 AM PDT

....that you need a driver, you'd first need to accept the fact that you have a problem. If he could have done that before this incident, he'd probably have been in rehab already instead of his car.

Collapse -
He was in rehab only MONTHS ...
by Evie / May 8, 2006 1:28 AM PDT

... before the last TWO incidents. And certainly the CVS incident should have gotten his attention -- and if not his, SOMEONE in his family.

I wonder if he told the Capitol Hill doctor that prescribed his drugs about his stint in rehab.

Collapse -
Nice change pace, I'd say

I hope no one is disappointed as that would say volumes about their agenda for SE. There was supposed to have been a time when a good example was valued. More and more that value has disappeared....or so it seems. I've known too many who cry for peace but are addicted to conflict....so much so that they have learned to create it when needing a "fix". Sad

Collapse -
I kind of felt sorry for the guy
by Dragon / May 7, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

I was reading between the lines (re my intuition), as I saw him talking. I don't claim to read minds, but I was thinking that he was probably wondering if his career was over -- permanently.

Collapse -
Same here...
by EdH / May 7, 2006 12:43 PM PDT

But no Kennedy will give up public office willingly. Their tenacity would admirable but for the damage it does to others.

Of course, up here it is almost impossible to dislodge them.

But he SHOULD resign and get the help he needs.

Collapse -
Rob ...........
by MarciaB / May 8, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

.... I notice that you have not made any further replies in this thread that you started. Did you notice that Angeline made a comment in regard to your "mistake" that nothing had been said about this matter here in SE?
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=174640&messageID=1919996

There hasn't been a "million posts" as of yet, and I don't know how many of the ones that have been made that you would call "gloating," BUT(t)..... you seem to have left this thread high and dry.

Collapse -
Hmmm........
by John Robie / May 8, 2006 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Rob ...........

There are other posts in SE where the originator (including Mods) only make one post.

Even when an error/mistake is noted, some will gloss over with verbage not giving a hint about the error..... showing their character I guess.

JR

Collapse -
Your point is noted, JR
by MarciaB / May 8, 2006 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm........

Or at least I am "assuming" it is. Hard to tell with only the written word sometimes. Grin

Hope you are enjoying the Spring weather, by-the-way. We are finally getting some nice weather here and a few fruit trees blooming.

Spring always makes me smile. It is a bit more difficult this year, and I find that I have to try harder to feel good about life, and that I have less tolerance for small and stupid stuff (absolutely my opinion only!!), but even when grieving, one cannot truly ignore the gorgeous display that Nature brings at this time of year.

Take care, John,
--Marcia

Collapse -
Rain has finally come for us in pretty
by John Robie / May 8, 2006 4:02 AM PDT

good quantities in and around the city this past week and thing are starting to look green again.

Wife's been out replanting flowers. Today she wants to mow and edge, so I filled up the riding mower and self-propeled mower, edger, and leaf blower....she is such an angel.

Collapse -
PS.........
by John Robie / May 8, 2006 4:39 AM PDT

Wife planted a lemon tree about 3 years ago. It is now only about 5 feet tall but spread out. Last year we got a hugh amount of large usable lemons. Had to cover the tree with an old sheet whenever it gets close to freezing. Our plumb trees finally died because of freezing.

So, this year she planted a small orange tree, and already it has tiny green oranges just appearing.
I didn't plant a garden this year, mainly because of the weather.

Pecan trees had a good crop last year. The trees started getting leaves a couple weeks ago, and just noticed yesterday tiny little nubbins of pecans.

Collapse -
Re: trees
by MarciaB / May 8, 2006 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: PS.........

We are in the wrong spot for citrus trees, but we get some wonderful crops of apricots, apples and plums (wild plum jam and syrup are my favorite).

Our big concern with the fruit crop is getting past the blossom stage without having a freeze. Everything is either in bloom right now or getting close to it. Keeping our fingers crossed that we have some good crops this year. I don't have much in the way of trees in my yard anymore. I don't like dealing with the various messes they make.

I have an old, gnarly plum tree that I keep just because it has character (and it's not very big and is out of the way), plus a pretty little flowering crabapple and a gorgeous flowering plum tree that I received in memory of Orion last year. The latter two survived the Winter nicely. The plum is in full blossom right now :), and the crabapple is just getting ready to bloom. They are so pretty.

Collapse -
Re: trees
by John Robie / May 8, 2006 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: trees

When I was a kid, we temporarily moved to Illinois for about 9 months because of my Dad's then WWII defense job that needed him up there, and we had an apple and cherry tree with the house we rented. Just loved eating the fruit right off the trees. Mom made cherry & apple pie often even getting the sweet taste like canned. Those don't grow down here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?