Computer Help forum

General discussion

surge protector

by lizacat / November 1, 2004 8:59 AM PST

Everytime is storms it takes out the phone line of my surge protector. I had the same protector for years with nothing happening. Now I am on my third one in 4 months. Any ideas why this is happening.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: surge protector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: surge protector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have seen the same thing.
by Ray Harinec / November 1, 2004 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: surge protector

You need a surge protector for the phone line that has a higher Joule rating that comes for the phone line that is included as part of the AC Power surge protector.

There are separate protectors just for the phone lines. With these it is very important that they get a very good ground connection. Short as possible and connected to the ground stake that the telephone connected its main box to.

Here's a link to a forum member that is an expert on telephony. He posts in these forums under the name Coryphaeus. I'm certain that he will add more info if you visit his site and contact him if necessary.

http://www.wayne.hardy.com/

Collapse -
Re: I have seen the same thing.
by Dragon / November 2, 2004 1:41 AM PST

The tech who set up our DSL and also serviced our phone service, said DSL wouldnt work if the phone line is plugged into a surge protector. But, with some phones, there is a power cord. -That- can be plugged into SP. We had had trouble with our phone giving feedback noise, and the microphone was picking up the same voice the mouthpiece was, which meant when I was talking, I was yelling in my own ear [is this a 'run-on sentence?']. He said the reason was the phone had taken a surge, and that we would have to get a new one.

Collapse -
Re: surge protector
by Willy / November 1, 2004 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: surge protector

It happens and its your turn. I suggest you get better surge protector or a better make with a higher rating. They usually post that on the label or packing as a "joule capacity or level". The higher it is the better it can handle such, but understand if the surge protector fails or did its job, and your system is still running, you got protected. A real bad hit, requires replacement in most cases or a resetting of the more expensive models. The more $$$ you put into protection the better it can handle surges or voltage spikes. Don't settle for one line of defense, look into solo protector per line, UPS, and/or household wiring at the elect. box if it becomes too common a problem. There maybe a electrical fault as well or something changed to your area or locale.

good luck -----Willy ":)"

Collapse -
Willy the protector at the
by Ray Harinec / November 2, 2004 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re: surge protector

main electric service is great. I should have mentioned it in the other surge protector post. It's mentioned in the link but only if the entire article is read. The first two paragraphs were the only ones of interest to the average reader.

But I doubt if it will help the phone lines.

I don't believe that a reasonable portion of the joule capacity is applied to the phone lines in these protectors.

I wonder if the phone company will put protectors at their main box where they have a good earth ground.

Collapse -
Re: Willy the protector at the
by Willy / November 2, 2004 7:01 AM PST

I don't know about your area, but it seems here and elsewhere, bandits are stealing the copper wires from some poles or where ever they can(not always grd. but usually is). The price of copper is the highest its been for some time. Recyclers have been warned of taking in copper if the person may not be trust worthy. BTW, steel/iron is also fetching a premium recycling price too, as even manhole covers are found missing. -----Willy Grin

Collapse -
The protectors are there. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 2, 2004 7:14 AM PST

At the side of the house is the SNI (Subscriber Network Interface). Inside this device are two "surge protectors". They are gas Zener diodes that break down and allow high voltage to go to ground. In the old days we used carbon blocks with a .001 inch gap between the telephone line and ground. A lightning strike would jump the gap and dissipate to ground. They would also fuse and cause a ground humm on the line. The newer gas carbons restore after a strike. The same type protector is located at the MDF (Main Distribution Frame) in the telephone central office. so you have protection on both ends. At least in a perfect world.

HTH,
Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - - Stephen W. Hawking

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.