TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Surge Protector

by jabir1 / January 17, 2006 12:32 AM PST

How much should you really spend on a surge protector. $120 doesn't sound like a lot to protect $3000 A/V equipment but then again it does.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surge Protector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surge Protector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Surge Protectors
by Computant / January 17, 2006 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Surge Protector

A $120 dollar surge protector should be more than sufficient so long as it isn't a battery backup surge protector. Make sure you buy a well known company's product like Monster Power, Belkin or Dynex. Most surge protectors have connected equipment warranties that will replace your HIFI componants in the event of a failure of the surge protector.

Collapse -
RE: Surge Protectors
by ArtMuscle / January 19, 2006 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: Surge Protectors

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use a "Battery Back-UPS" type of surge protection on a system of this sort? I'm curious because the high-end chain Tweeter Etc. sells exactly that to use with their systems along with a line conditioner that runs about $3500. When they come into your home to do installations, they recommend them, also. I would think that a surge protector of this type would be far superior compared to those over-glorified power strips most manufacturers pass off as surge protectors. Consumer Reports did an article on them a few years back, and through running a series of tests, they found that most of those power strip-style surge protectors are good for one surge, then they are pretty much useless. And sadly, you will never know when or if they were surged, so you really have no idea when or if they have been rendered useless by a surge. I see a lot of them advertise claims like $30,000 to $50,000 protection for equipment hooked up to them, but I'm sure if you ever tried to get them to replace your equipment, they would have 300 reasons why your equipment failed other than poor protection from their product, or that you don't know how to use it properly or something to that effect. Unless you're some kind of quality control person or electrical engineer or technician that could show proof of your clai, you would have a hard time convincing them that their product failed and they owe you X amount of dollars to replace the fried components hooked up to their surge protector. I'd rather have a good battery back up system, that would absorb a lightning strike without passing it on to my equipment, and a rider on my homeowners policy, than to hope or assume that one of those power strips will save my system, and think someone will actually reimburse me for the $21,000 worth of equipment I have, if it should happen to fry. By the time they pro-rate your system, you can be sure you won?t be happy with what they will be paying you to ?reimburse? you for your failed equipment.
PS I had a lightning strike right outside my home office window a couple of years ago. My monitor was hooked up to one of those power strip-style surge protectors, and sparks shot right out of the front of the monitor straight at me. Between the sparks heading straight for my face, and the unbelievably loud crash of the lightning striking about 3 feet from where I sat, I jumped back and the chair and I went over backwards. It scared the heck out of me. I had to replace the monitor. My PC was hooked into an APC Battery Back-UPS system, which was plugged into the same wall outlet as the so-called surge protector, and survived just fine. Somehow, my underwear survived too. Lol. I use to buy the more expensive surge protectors too, in the $59 - $69 price range, thinking more was better, but I found out the hard way that it didn?t matter. I have three Back-UPS systems in my house now, protecting all of my sensitive electronics and I?m thinking of getting another one. I never tried to put in a claim for the monitor against the surge protector?s manufacturer, because I assumed they would just say that it wasn?t made to take a direct strike like that, and besides, it gave me an excuse to use on my wife to get a bigger better monitor. Since then, I swear by Battery Back-UPS systems, so I am curious why you made that statement.

Collapse -
careful
by masterying01 / January 20, 2006 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Surge Protectors

battery ups's are just to make sure the fans are still running in your equipment if there is a power outage. rarely will ANY surge protectors protect you from a lightning strike right in your back yard cause thats just way too much power for a surge to handle. the best way is to unplug your equipment completely during a lightning storm.

power conditioners with batteries or not are DEFINITELY needed...but just dont rely on it 100% of the time to save your equipment. just like dont rely on the airbags in an old honda civic when a freight train is comming at you at 60mph. (just an analogy)

Collapse -
This has been discused alot!!!
by jcrobso / January 20, 2006 12:05 AM PST

Do you need a surge protector??? YES!!! Cables and surge portectors are getting a lot of attention as the "Emperors new cloths" effect takes over.
Since HDTVs are realy a computer system programed to tune channels and display the result on the video screen it shoud be protected like a computer.
My dish DVR is a computer with a HD and tuner, programs and input device.
I use a good 600~800w battery backup, they have built in surge protection. Usualy $80~100.
For thoes that have DLP,LCD,LSoS sets you have a projection lamp, runs very hot. When you turn the set off the cooling fan runs for a couple of minuets to cool the lamp. If you lose power and the fan stops before the lamp is cool. All the resudal heat can melt the lamp. I have seen it happen.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5238-7813-0.html?rankBy=10001&numResults=20&categoryID=2&lucene=true&forumID=60&m=10&tag=cnr&q=surge+protector&select=within+this+forum

Collapse -
Just curious....
by easyshare / March 30, 2006 9:43 PM PST

Just bought new 50" Sony XBR1 LCoS. Also purchased Monster HS3500MII power center w/surge protection. I now want to purchase a UPS. If I plug the tv into the UPS and then plug the UPS into the HS3500, will I have a problem, since the UPS also has surge protection? Anyone know??? Thanks

Collapse -
it'll work..but
by masterying01 / March 31, 2006 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Just curious....

it'll void any warrenty that either power surge's come with. (even though its hard to get those warrenties anyways)

Collapse -
Never thought about the warranties..
by easyshare / March 31, 2006 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: it'll work..but

Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
What TV do you have????
by jcrobso / March 31, 2006 12:06 AM PST

Is yours a DLP/LCD RP set??? If so then a good surge/battery backup would be a good idea. Areoud $100. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!