Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Surge of volunteers expected to help illegal immigrants cros

by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

A surge in the number of volunteers fanning out across Arizona's southern deserts to aid illegal immigrants is expected this summer.

The increase comes despite the ongoing prosecution of two volunteers arrested last summer on federal charges they intentionally conspired to transport illegal entrants, leaders of illegal immigrant aid groups said.

Shanti A. Sellz and Daniel M. Strauss, both 24, were arrested as they drove illegal entrants to a clinic on July 9 and face trial in October.

Leaders of two faith-based groups, No More Deaths and Samaritan Patrol, say they've signed up hundreds of volunteers to deliver food, water and medical aid to migrants illegally walking into the country from Mexico. No More Deaths alone has 500 registered volunteers, up from 300 last summer.

A third group, Humane Borders, puts water tanks in areas frequented by illegal migrants.

time to empty the tanks and prosecute these people
http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4930696

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surge of volunteers expected to help illegal immigrants cros
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surge of volunteers expected to help illegal immigrants cros
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take the illegals out of jail
by dirtyrich / May 21, 2006 4:34 AM PDT

throw them back across the border, and put these "helpers" in the cells.

Collapse -
About water stations........

Re:''.....A third group, Humane Borders, puts water tanks in areas frequented by illegal migrants.....''

In following these stories for years, it seems humanitarian groups have requested the government provide and maintain water stations for immigrants.

The government does maintain water sources in some locations for the benefit of wildlife. IMO, the government should not attempt to provide water stations for the convenience of aliens blatantly violating the law. This would certainly send the wrong messsage.

As I understand it, those caught and dying in remote areas were led there,and abandoned without water, by ''coyotes'' who were paid to lead them to some half-way location.

With respect to those individuals earlier arrested for aiding illegals, the story, as I recall, was that this group monitored interior traffic routes on the US side and some distance from the border. In random contacts assisted individuals in trouble. When they were arrested they claimed to be transporting individuals in need of immediate medical attention.

Collapse -
they should be made to transport them
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 5:03 AM PDT

for aid back to mexico let fox care for them

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) possibly Mexico will not allow them to enter?
by dawillie / May 21, 2006 10:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
well we drop them at the boarder
by Mark5019 / May 21, 2006 12:05 PM PDT

and tell them to vamoose south

Collapse -
Why don't the volunteers go to Mexico...
by EdH / May 21, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

and help out the people there, instead of trying to cause confrontations here? The root of the problem is in Mexico. If they want to confront someone, the Mexican government would be more approporiate perhaps.

Collapse -
I think its time the U.S. stops...
by tomron / May 21, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

playing games.Tell the Mexican goverment to control their people or be prepared to pay the consequences.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,PERIOD

Collapse -
What I heard today...
by Angeline Booher / May 21, 2006 7:03 AM PDT

It stuck in my mind because of the argument in another thread about the state of affairs in some countries to our south.

Most have been ruled by despots and dictators for a long time. There are the haves and have nots, with little in between.

As I understood what I heard, this is the first actual democratically elected president in Mexico. They have 3 major political parties, and several minor ones. Most of them know what needs to be done, but they don't know how to do it, and can't agree on what to try.

In my city, one hospital is close to shutting it's door because of the patients who do not have any insurance. Another, is also having major financial problems because of it. Both of them have long served the uninsured (poor prople are not limited to Mexico) , but illegals have swollen the load to the bursting point.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Excactly
by tomron / May 21, 2006 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: What I heard today...

This siuation is more then just a financial drain,its also a yields a psychological cost.

If a goverment aids their people to gain access to a country illegaly,not to mention some people within said country assisting these peolple to commit this illegal act could very well be considered an act of war.

Tom

Collapse -
We should allow the water stations
by Dragon / May 21, 2006 9:55 AM PDT

Just add a little something to make them go to sleep. it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Collapse -
Perhaps shooting is a bad word choice?
by Bill Osler / May 21, 2006 10:20 AM PDT

It seems to me that deportation would be quite adequate.

Set up a bunch of watering holes in the desert (even without spiking the water). Place them close enough together that people pretty much have to come across them at some point in the crossing, focus the patrols on the areas with water and deport everybody in sight.

They might even put up big billboards in the desert with pictures of iced drinks to increase perceived thirst, kinda like they do in movie theaters.

Collapse -
OR
by Dragon / May 21, 2006 12:10 PM PDT

There could be a recorded message, delayed until people have had a chance to drink, which says, "Congratulations, you have now been infected with a new strain of Moctezuma's revenge for which there is no cure. Budget constraints have delayed indefinately the construction of toilet stations you will need in the next few minutes...We strongly suggest you begin digging, immediately."

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hope these traitors get busted.
by caktus / May 21, 2006 11:47 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?