HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Surfing speed is way slow...........

by celebratejesus / February 27, 2009 11:01 PM PST

and I don't understand it since I have a wireless connection and it is connected at the highest I can get here, 54mbps which says signal strength "excellent". I am filling out a lot of online "forms" but it is equally slow on my other regular webpages I frequent such as myfitnesspal.com, bibleforums.org.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I thought if I was connected that "high" surfing would be very fast? Thank you in advance for any help you might give.

Denise in Sams Valley OR
PC Info:
Win XP HE SP 3(build 2600)
1.50 gh Intel Pent 4
8 kilo mem cache
256 kilo secondary mem cache

Please let me know if you need more info on my pc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Surfing speed is way slow...........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Surfing speed is way slow...........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is more to consider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 1:16 AM PST

Let's say that your WIFI router is secured with WEP or less. Then it's too easy for others to leech or mooch off your connection and while the connect speed is that fast, your moocher taps your internet connection speed and saps the possible speed.

Remember that the 54 megabits is only from your PC to the router. Your internet connection is usually something a lot less.
Bob

Collapse -
Hey bob, thank you for the quick reply
by celebratejesus / February 28, 2009 1:47 AM PST

I share a connection with my landlady's puter. I use a belkin adapter to pick up the signal. She gave me her password because CCountry(our ISP)set it up so no one could "bleed" off the connection. She is not on much but then again, sometimes she is. I use it for my in-home biz so I am on all day pretty much. Is there a way to find out what the actual connection is then? Is there a way to speed things up for me, as well as her? She says hers is slow as well. CCountry has told us to disconnect the cables and wait a few minutes and reconnect. This helps sometimes. Any thoughts or advice? I would like to have my very own connection but, they put some tower up out here for my landladys and it would be a lot of cost and trouble to put a separate one up for me, if I am understanding it right. We are about 25-30 miles from city in way rural area.

Thank you, Denise:)

Collapse -
Not your connection?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 2:36 AM PST

Then I can't possibly guess what your true internet connection is.

That other user could be running a TORRENT or be infected. Also it NEVER matters about security until it matters. You are guessing here and frankly I see nothing amiss but one thing.

-> The 54 megabit is from your PC to the wifi router. It is not the speed to the internet.
Bob

Collapse -
Found a post you did in 2005 Bob
by celebratejesus / February 28, 2009 2:36 AM PST

it said to install firmware & driver updates for this guy that had two Dell's in his home and one ran fine, the other slow. This is the same sort of deal except we use a belkin router. Is this something that might help my pc pick up speed? It is the one with the Belkin Adapter, not the main puter?

thanks again, denise

Collapse -
In your case. No. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2009 2:37 AM PST

You have a fine 54 megabit connection to the router.

It's not drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) thanks, close this Im done
by celebratejesus / February 28, 2009 2:44 AM PST
Collapse -
already try
by lili_20 / May 17, 2009 11:33 PM PDT

dell are so stupid that even't client service chat unable to identified the right kind internet driver.the last format i did on pc i been 3 days befor i find the corect driver and i got it from a chat but i can't acces it cause my pc got virus/hacker, event my anti virus refuse to start

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.