Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SURegCreateKey Failed

by fraggle257 / November 18, 2003 12:27 AM PST

An associate of mine has a pc running Windows ME operating system. The other day her son downloaded some fonts from somewhere on the internet and ever since she cannot get her pc to boot up in anything other than in safe mode.

She is getting a new hardware discovered wizard on start up but the wizard is saying "Windows has discovered the following new hardware" and then there is a blank space where the hardware should be. I have to cancel it in order to start up, but have to cancel many many times over, then it eventually tells me that I have to instal the monitor and will also not let me instal that, after the monitor does not instal I get an error message saying "SURegCreateKey Failed".

Does anyone know what I might do to restore the pc? I have done a virus check and nothing, I am really not used to Windows ME so don't know how to do a system restore and none of the disks that came with the pc are in order.

Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SURegCreateKey Failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SURegCreateKey Failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:SURegCreateKey Failed. The article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2003 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: SURegCreateKey Failed
Collapse -
Re:Re:SURegCreateKey Failed. The article.
by fraggle257 / November 18, 2003 3:45 AM PST

Thank you for posting the Knowledge Base Article, I had already looked at it and all it tells me how to do is boot into safe mode which is what it is already in. What I was after was some help on how to trouble shoot the exact problem, any clues?

Many thanks!

Collapse -
No such documentation I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2003 5:37 AM PST

Such methods are left to the user to create. I would use that article and the ones it references to start learning about clean boots and what tools to use to do that.

MSCONFIG would run in SAFE MODE and you can selectively check off items you don't want to start on the full boot.

Wish I could show you a documented solution, but all you may find are tools and documents on the tools. What to do with the tools is up to you.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
SURegCreateKey
by flintstone / September 15, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

Had a related problem on a customers IBM PII something old MHz running ME. Add and Remove programs showed no programs, nothing running in the tray even with msconfig set to nomal. Every time I restarted the computer it would find new hardware, but there was none. Long story short .... I used this method to fix it. Start - Run - command - scanreg /fix ... yes there is a space between scanreg and the /. When the computer restarted and fixed the registry it found new hardware once again but this time it new what it was, in my case Advance power management was what it was looking for. I pointed it to the cab files on the hard drive and I was in business. Oh yeah any time I tried to add Tcpip, dialup networking, a nic, basicly anything to the computer I got the SURegCreateKey error.

Collapse -
Me too...
by raharrisjr / January 14, 2005 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: SURegCreateKey Failed

I downloaded an update to ActiveX from the MS website and the same problem is now happening to me including the monitor not being found and no drivers, etc. I sure would appreciate it if, when you solve this problem that you'd let me know what you find. I'll do the same.

Good hunting.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.