Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

supra's and other fast cars

im starting a thread because all i can find in the car tech section is jeep's and GPS's so this is to start a usefull thread for me.

now onto the subject i have plans to build a MKIII supra with a 2JZ-GTE swap. i already have a place where i can get the engine/transmission and the wiring harness for around $3,000. now for the problem i have seen a few threads on various sites with references to this type of swap but very little on the actual details i would like for all your input on the subject and your suggestions, but please none of the bickering that iv'e been seeing on alot of threads so if you cant play nice with everyong dont play at all. Happy
-thanks to all that help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: supra's and other fast cars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: supra's and other fast cars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Foreign...cars/parts

In reply to: supra's and other fast cars

I was a Gas Station attendant..then a car parts Counter Salesman..and onto foreign car mechanics..mostly Merceded Benz and Volvo..some FIAT..some Alfa Romero..I was the Main Guy for Mercedes Benz Valve Jobs(6-cyl.only)..and my Specialty is Brake Systems..
So..just for fun..my Boss(aka)the Owner takes in this job..a Vintage Mercedes Guy wants to trash his motor for a newer type(Mercedes)..basically the same SWAP-...the basic situation here was the OIL LINES..the AUTO Trans...LINES...coolant LINES and the such..and BOLT-length..all for the newer motor and TRANS(auto)..I did complete the job but never had found the eventual outcoome(off into the sunset he rode)..
TOYOTA....I always loved working on the TOYOTA'S....the spaces between the parts I needed to install was always some perfect-thing..
These would be the 70's/Toyota Models..but I was also a Asst. Parts Manager for a TOYOTA Dealership in Calif./it was also a MG-Triump-Volvo Dealer..
The other basic step is hardware/Metric---or---SAE...
I've done lots of DASHBOARD work/wires..radios..the Controls for HEAT/VENTS..cables and catches..switches..
These can be either easy or impossible..(considering a SWAP-job)..
I had my own Project Car(Jag XKE 4.2 Conv.)1966..and started w/Porshe(1959)356B..also called a Spoon Porshe..
You need to understand the COST/and rebuilding everything yourself..
I have always believed that HIGH-Performance kills the car..unless the car was designed from the Factory as High Performance..
My JAG was helped along by a contact in a Factory/I actually had an exact PART...guy..who made just parts for the the electronics industry../constructed some replacement parts made of Stainless Steel..and I spent some couple of hundred/dollars just collecting EXACT-replacement STUFF(restoration)..
I have seen radical Engine SWAPS..
I would say look for some PARTS-identifier..useing Parts Numbers to get the thing done..
I really doubt that taking engines and trans from one MODEL and going into a Model is easy..Magazines might have some sort of ADAPTER Part..
You'll luck out since the Engines are 4-cyl..
But once past 180-HP..your taking your life in your hands..
Even 110-HP might be the safety edge on welding and ADAPTER Parts..
I modified two cars that I drove every day..
and did have a Carb...stick---wide OPEN..
Once My JAG went sideways down the street/because I didn't rebuild the CARBS..and another time the Gas Stuck to the floor on another..
Install a KILL-switch.
The rest is luck.

Collapse -
four cylinder?

In reply to: Foreign...cars/parts

thank you for the post and i do understand the cost this swap will entail but thats the thing its a project and wont be finished for at least another year. im not very sure what you were refering to though with the four cylinder part cause supra's are inline 6's but if your talking about a different car my bad. thanks for your input

Collapse -
why?

why the hell would you wanna swap in a 2jz-gte? novelty?It's been done without much recognition. You can swap in a 1jz with much less work and money and not much of a power disadvantage. And aren't 2jz's heavier?

Collapse -
?

In reply to: why?

your kidding right? the 2JZ while slightly heavier produces 320HP with 315 lb of torque when the 1JZ will make 280HP with under 300 lbs of torque. the 1JZ swap would be easier and if you claim its been done before many times i would love to see the specs and any other info on it . the few things that would have to be accomadated for are the engine mounts and the wiring harness and im sure a few other things but the out come would be well worth it. the 2JZ can handle up to 900HP without modifying the stock internals while the 1JZ can withstand up to around 500HP. please do a little bit of researching before posting i am looking for information so if you would please keep any future posts partially technical.

Collapse -
Go for it!

I think it's a great idea. The 2JZ-GTE is a sweet engine. It will only run around 265hp without a turbo though. I'm assuming you're also getting the turbos and intercooler if it runs at 320hp already. (From a MKIV?) Also, The 2JZ-GTE is different from 2JZ-GE, which is probably what that other guy was talking about. The GE cannot handle a turbo or supercharger without modifications. How much does the MKIII weigh? I heard it is alot heavier than the MKIV, so you might want to look into removing some unnecessary parts. This is ideal because you would increase your handeling, which you would need to control the extra power. I don't know much about the MKIII, so if you could compare its performance to a MKIV, that would be appreciated. What do you plan on doing with your car?
P.S. You should put an aftermarket BOV on it. That's just a personal preference though because i like the sound. Happy

Collapse -
MKIII vs MKIV

In reply to: Go for it!

the MkIII is around 3-4 hundred pounds heavier than the MkIV. I dont know much about the 7M-GTE's that run around here in the US but the 1JZ has around 280hp and and US spec 2JZ-GTE has 320hp while the *** spec 2JZ has 280hp the lower hp rating on the *** engines is due to the "gentlemens agreement" at least that what i think its called it says that the companies cannot claim over 300hp. the turbo's on the US spec have steel turbines while the *** ones have ceramic turbines. the 1JZ has ceramic. the 2JZ is good for a claimed 900hp on stop internals while the 1JZ is said good to 400hp. PS im glad someone is actually liking the idea everyone i talk to just critisizes it. thanks

Collapse -
Project underway

In reply to: MKIII vs MKIV

Hey I've got a 90 MKIII NA that I'm currently doing the same conversion on. The only problems that I have ran into in my experience is the fact that the fire-wall has to be modified to clear the back turbo on the 2JZ, other than that it fits nicely. The only other thing is if you use the MKIII transmission (make sure it is the turbo version, they are a lot beefier)you will need to change the 7m bell housing for a 1j bell housing because the two cars used the same transmission just different engines. If you run across any pics of already installed 2jzs' in MKIIIs let me know I'm still trying to find one that is complete. Another thing if you do not want to modify the firewall you can always upgrade to a single turbo and manifold, it will give you more power and prevent you from having to modify the firewall.

Collapse -
An awesome Idea, keep us updated

In reply to: Project underway

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.