General discussion

supplementing a cable internet connection with a tethered...

I wanted to know if it is possible to supplement or combine a cable internet connection with a tethered cellular connection. Ever since I got a data plan and also found out how to tether my computer to my cellular network, I wanted to know if this would be possible. I wanted to know this because a lot of times I'm dissatisfied with the performance or speed of my cable connection, and so I wanted to possibly "supercharge" the connection by adding my Sprint data plan. Please help me learn about these capabilities. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: supplementing a cable internet connection with a tethered...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: supplementing a cable internet connection with a tethered...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link, SHORT COMMENT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875995053

In short and not to write at length, there are routers like this that will task its owner to configure the failover metrics and more. The good news is the prices have come down a long way from just a few years ago where they were over 1K bucks.

Have fun!
Bob
- Collapse -
im not sure how this router relates to my question

im not sure how this router relates to my question. can it combine or supplement my working cable connection with my tethered cellular Sprint connection?

- Collapse -
Which is the real problem.

While I offered the usual solution the problem is that most need the long story and more. I'll write you should ask the places that support this sort of device.

Combine? As in bonding? NO.

Supplement? As in failover. Yes.

Bob

- Collapse -
Well I'm not really experiencing a problem...

I just wanted to get more out of my internet connection so I wanted to boost it. Can you please explain to me what exactly failover is? Appreciate your help by the way!

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I purposely wrote that I would avoid long dissertaions. You can research failover in the context of networking with google. I see that is described well enough.
Bob

CNET Forums